Eating your exercise calories

Options
I've been cleaning ALL day. So far, I've burned over 1000 calories. I've already ate breakfast, lunch, and one snack, and it says I STILL have 2000 calories left.

Am I REALLY suppose to eat ALL of those? I can't do it.

Replies

• husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    eat so that you get up to a net of 1200 calories at a minimum.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There are veried opinions on this but eating low on 1 day will not hurt you so don't freak out.
  • tcrawford13
    Options
    I wouldnt eat them all back. Make sure in your goals that you have an account account of how many calories on average you are burning in a week. That may help. Good luck!
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I only do once in awhile.. So I wouldn't stress over it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The way that MFP works is that you must eat what you are given to eat in calories each day or else you don't loose the weight. It's just like weight watchers. There's been a lot of talk in the forums about this and you can search for other conversations (you'll find them very helpful). It's only 2:14pm where I am and depending on where you are in the world there's still time left to your day to eat some healthy foods. For example, if I was in your shoes and decided to stop eating at 2:14pm I would never loose weight because my body would not get the fuel it needed to survive and I would be storing fat.
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    You should eat them, but when it's a huge loss, there just isn't any way your going to eat that much. I recommend just eating till your satisfied, the same as any other time. However, keep in mind that with a large deficit today, you may find you are more hungry tomorrow.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    That estimate seems a little high...but I dont know how hard you worked....I never count cleaning as exercising because I do it every day lol

I would just eat back you Net as well. It is ok to fluctuate with you cals :smile:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I would suggest not burning that many calories... because yes you have to eat them back

If you plan on burning that many calories I would suggest eating more through out the day so that you don't have such a balance right before dinner.

Might take some planning, or you should not do so much cardio..

if you don't eat them today it wont kill you tho. Just don't do it very often...
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I never eat them ...

read this for your own opinion or see a Doctor

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218981-personal-trainer-s-advice-eat-all-exercise-calories
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1 day- no but try to eat most of them if you cna

Most days- yes- going forward try to plan out your meals ahead of time to compensate for expected burn- Your body doesnt care what the reason you don't get cals, if it doesn't get, sooner or later it slows your metabolism down and throws off the estimates MFP gives you.
  • Gossamer5
    Gossamer5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories. What would be the point? You're supposed to burn calories to lose weight so it wouldn't make sense to eat those calories. The point is is to lose the weight.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I would eat a little extra protein and carbs (maybe 200-300 calories worth). Don't forget to deduct your normal calories from those "extra" calories. For me, I burn 72 calories a minute, doing absolutely nothing ((1730 total daily burn / 24 hours) / 60 minutes). So, in 8 hours, I would have burned 576 calories. Deduct the 576 from the 1000 you say you burned cleaning, and you have an excess of only 424 calories. A handful of almonds ought to cover it.
  • afleming22710
    afleming22710 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That estimate seems a little high...but I dont know how hard you worked....I never count cleaning as exercising because I do it every day lol

I would just eat back you Net as well. It is ok to fluctuate with you cals :smile:

I've been cleaning since 8am. I don't normally count cleaning either, because I too do it everyday, but today, I've been cleaning so hard that I broke a sweat, so I figured I should add it! lol
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry. There is no way I can physically eat back all my calories unless I make bad food decisions. If you feel hungry then you should eat, if you are full do not eat.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM? If not you may not have accually burn that amount, and if you eat all the calories you maybe eating to many.

2639362.png
  • afleming22710
    Options
    I would suggest not burning that many calories... because yes you have to eat them back

If you plan on burning that many calories I would suggest eating more through out the day so that you don't have such a balance right before dinner.

Might take some planning, or you should not do so much cardio..

if you don't eat them today it wont kill you tho. Just don't do it very often...

I normally don't count my cleaning. The only reason why I did today is because I've been cleaning since 8am, and it actually caused me to break a sweat. I didn't realize that cleaning burnt so many calories.
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    Ok I have been at a loss as well about the exercise calories, and i was just kinda staring blankly at the monitor with a dumbfounded look on my face teh other day when it clicked, or at least i think it did.

K so MFP says my daily goal is 1780 at the start of the day.

Then I go and eat 600 calories by noon.

So now MFP says well you should still eat 1180 calories more...

THEN... I go and work out and burn 680 calories.

MFP says hey, well now technically you didnt eat anything cuz you just sat there and exercised the 600 away you did have and now your sitting at -80 calories.

So now, I still have to eat enough to hit my original calorie goal of 1780, otherwise I will have only eaten 1100 calories for the day, which isnt enough to fuel my basic needs...

THEREFORE... I have to eat my exercise calories!!!!

The best way i can suggest to do it is to go to your home page and look at your net calories, if you hit 1200 for the day net, then you should be ok. Dont read too much into eating the exercise calories, it will baffle you because its not to be taken literally.
    Hope this helps!
  • afleming22710
    Options
    Are you using a HRM? If not you may not have accually burn that amount, and if you eat all the calories you maybe eating to many.

2639362.png

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but what's a HRM? I'm just going by what MFP says.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I've been cleaning since 8am. I don't normally count cleaning either, because I too do it everyday, but today, I've been cleaning so hard that I broke a sweat, so I figured I should add it! lol

Long periods of low intesity working out will not give an accurate amount of calories. Part of those 1000 calories you burned is actually your BMR, so I wouldn't worry about eating them all back.
  • Tryin2findme
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry. There is no way I can physically eat back all my calories unless I make bad food decisions. If you feel hungry then you should eat, if you are full do not eat.

I agree :)