How do you keep from overindulging?

Options
My little sister is turning 2 years old today & the whole family is getting together tonight for pizza & birthday cake... I'm worried I'll end up eating 5 slices of pizza & 2 big squares of cake. I know moderation is key, so I should be able to have 1 slice of pizza & a small bite of cake, but sometimes the urge is just TOO STRONG!

What do you do in situations like this to help you stay on track? Thanks!!

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Eat a big serving of fruits or veggies before you go.
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Eat a big serving of fruits or veggies before you go.
    Exactly what I was going to say! I not to be hungry when I go to stuff like that so I don't over do it on the bad stuff :laugh:
  • tlaltman
    tlaltman Posts: 32
    Options
    Eat a filling healthy snack before you go. Then you'll be able to pass on the second piece of cake and slice # 2 :). Have fun at the party is # 1 keep yourself busy running after two year olds!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd eat the pizza and cake and start again tomorrow as long as it's a very occasional sort of thing. That probably doesn't help much though since you're asking how to stay on track :huh:
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Well I for one would party on! When I do splurge I take a couple cayenne pills in the middle of the meal. One cheat meal a week is good for the soul. :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    drink water.
    eat a healthy snack before.

or enjoy yourself without overdoing it.
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Saw a lot of folks mention fruits. Remember fruit gets in your tummy and can turn funky quick when mixed when other foods. Not harmfull but causes bloating and belching. Fermentation burps, nasty nasty. :)
  • knovello82
    knovello82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have fun, eat what you want and just do a little extra workout or excersize. I have 2 dogs so if I start to feel guilty and don't have a chance to go to the gym, I'll just take them for a nice walk :) You won't gain weight from having fun for a night!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Add a couple slices of pizza and a slice of cake to your food journal so you account for eating it. I would avoid trying to eat too much ahead of time unless you know it will deter you from eating while you're there. I used to try that, but I would still indulge, and that meant I had eaten the calories from the first "good" food AND from the the food I wanted. Also, remember that the calories set for you are for weight loss, so if you go over a bit one time it's not going to sabotage you. You should have fun while you're there!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Add a couple slices of pizza and a slice of cake to your food journal so you account for eating it. I would avoid trying to eat too much ahead of time unless you know it will deter you from eating while you're there. I used to try that, but I would still indulge, and that meant I had eaten the calories from the first "good" food AND from the the food I wanted. Also, remember that the calories set for you are for weight loss, so if you go over a bit one time it's not going to sabotage you. You should have fun while you're there!
    I've tried that too and had exactly the same result, I'd eat before I went out and then eat again when I was out because the food was there, I liked it and everyone else was eating it.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would drink LOTS before and maybe even bring some veggies with you to snack on instead. =) Good luck and remember even if you do overindulge, tomorrow is a new day.
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    I think a lot of these suggestions are good, particularly the ones that suggest eating veggies, fruits, and drinking loads of water ahead of time.

I've found that when I tell someone else I only want one piece of pizza, I stick to that because I've told this other person that's what I wanted to do. But all of my friends and family know that I'm working to lose weight and eat better, so they're all incredibly supportive.

Finally, worst case scenario in my book? Give yourself the grace to have two pieces of pizza and one piece of cake. Then hit the gym like a fiend. Life isn't worth living if you can't occasionally enjoy yourself. And if you do "mess up", forgive yourself.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Even if you do overindulge, remember that tomorrow is another day. Everyone is allowed to mess up (that's why we should allow ourselves ocassional cheat meals) but don't let that get you down and deter you from reaching your goals !!!! When I add my "mess-ups" into my food journal and see the amount of calories/fat, it def makes me think twice about eating that way the next time.
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would drink alot of water!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    or enjoy yourself without overdoing it.

Yep! There's a difference between 2 slices of pizza and 5. Enjoy yourself! :)
  • kayladiane5
    Options
    A lot of the times, pizza places serve carrots and celery with pizza. Maybe snack on those along with a slice of pizza. But remember to enjoy yourself, and a cheat meal once in awhile won't kill you.
  • blazrchicdd
    blazrchicdd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of really good posts here, and lots of great ideas.

This is what works for me:

Have a small healthy snack right before you leave - something yuo enjoy and know fills you up a little. Eat your 1 slice of pizza and be sure to drink a full glass of water before going for your second. If you still want a second slice... ENJOY and don't beat yourself up. After piece #2 drink another glass of water and keep your eye on the cake.

Also - parties are easier because you can mill around and talk to people - keep your water with you so if you have the urge to talk and eat you have something.

Enjoy a small slice of cake - ask for 1/2 the size and savor it. Have another glass of water and if you still can't get rid of that sweet tooth have another 1/2 slice.

This way you get to enjoy what you want, indulge a little but not irreparably. Then go for a nice long walk when you get home.
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I faced the same dilema. After working my tail off to get 15 lbs since January 11, today was my mom's b'day. we celebrated at a pizza buffett. Yes, I feel like I am dying right now, but it was good, I ate what I wanted, and tomorrow I will chug water and eat right.

My father, on the oher hand, is an alzheimers patient and ate one piece of pizza and a small piece of cake. He then commented about how much I ate and how much Diet Rite I drank - I refuse to feel one ounce of guilt for my treat and spending time with my mom on her birthday!
  • drcain
    drcain Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I am satisfied, I pop in a piece of mint gum since that deters me from eating more food.
  • JennyJogger
    Options
    All of your tips were great! Thank you so much!!! :happy:

I ate a very large granny smith apple about 30 minutes before I left I packed a water bottle. I actually skipped the pizza all together (hard for me to do, but love that I'm not feeling guilty now) because there was a very large greek salad at the party which I ate with minimal dressing & lots of veggies, then I had 1/2 a slice of delicious chocolate birthday cake! I kept drinking water between bites & then finished off with a diet coke because I was still craving something sweet.

SO proud of myself! Thanks again for your advice!!! :heart: