Should I do weight training with my legs when I walk alot?

Options
I have been walking at least 3 miles almost everyday for the last couple of months. I have also been doing weight training but only on my arms and abs. My question is - should I also be doing weights with my legs? I haven't been because I figure they get enough of a workout from all the walking.

Replies

• losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Oooo I have been wondering this also!!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to do with your legs. If you want to build muscle in your legs, sure go for it. If your losing weight, muscle does burn more calories than fat. But some people say it will make your legs big, especially if you don't do enough cardio to lose the fat on top of the muscle.
  • Maggiethu
    Maggiethu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Um... you should ABSOLUTELY do weights for your legs. It will make you a far better walker (and you're legs will look great too). I am an avid runner and I lift legs 2-3x a week.
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    Absolutly weight train your legs! When you walk you only work some of your leg muscles in the same motion over and over, which is initially good for those muscles, but they get used to it. You want to work all of your muscles to keep them balanced.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about that too...seems like if I'm already working on that area, I should focus on other parts of my body. I started doing a little lately, mostly because I like that I can feel the workout more so than when I just do the elliptical.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I just read in womens health that walking is not enough as far as weight training for your legs.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    You must do legs too. It's one of the largest muscle groups you have. When you're doing legs you're also working your core. You won't have to worry about building large muscular legs unless you're a genetic freak. It's hard to build muscle when you're eating at a deficit. People with big, muscular legs eat at surplus and train harder than what we'll ever do.

Most leg exercises, at least the good ones, are compound movements. Any weight training should include compound movements.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Your Legs contain the largest muscles in your body thus giving you the best potential for building muscle (lean mass) and increasing your metabolism (fat burning power).

As well, Leg training has an anabolic effect on the entire body yet, it's generally neglected by many who do resistance training.

You needn't go to extremes at all, but some simple sets a couple times a week of Squats and Lunges will add to the benefits you're already seeing in your current progress!

As well, doing these with even just your body weight (You needn't squat 6 plates), will help activate your core stabilizers giving you better balance and mobility in the long run for any activity you pursue. :-)

Cheers!
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    Yes absolutely!! Especially if you are a walker or runner it will only help! That should actually be one of your main focus areas. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    for women strength training is extra important because we start losing bone mass in our 30s! Walking is not enough. I don't do weights in my legs but I take Centergy (pilates combined with yoga) to get extra in my legs that way.
  • lareyna124
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    Definitely... You can try Leg Presses, but there's also loads of others as well - helps also strengthen the muscles around your knees - which further helps with walking / running..