sweet potato (yam) v. white potato

Options
jencoz04
jencoz04 Posts: 67 Member
I have to admit I am a little confused. White potatoes always seem to get a bad rap. But I was comparing nutrition info and can't seem to figure out why.

White Potato (299g) - 278 cal, 0 fat, 63g carb, 7g fiber, 4g sugar, 7g protein
Sweet Potato (300g) - 270 cal, 0 fat, 63g carb, 9g fiber, 18g sugar, 6g protein

I know that Sweet Potatoes have a ton of Vitamin A but they have 4.5x the sugar.

I am sensitive to sugar, even natural sugar. I get headaches from eating Sweet Potatoes because of the sugar but White Potatoes are ok.

I know it has something to do with simple and complex carbs but the sugar content in Sweet Potatoes seem like a lot in comparison.

Are white potatoes really all that bad? I know all things in moderation but I see people saying the cut out white rice, white potatoes, etc.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good! White potatoes carry a little bit higher glycemic load, but nothing to worry about in a balanced diet.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Not bad for you, but it's what you can add to them that is bad!

Try Greek yogurt in the place of sour cream and salsa instead of cheese. :)
  • heididormanen
    Options
    White potatos have more starch.. and that is part of the problem but no potatos are not bad.. everything in moderation. Mostly for me.. and a lot of others.. it isn't so much the potato as it is the preparation or serving of it.. for example.. I don't eat a baked potato plain it has butter, sour cream and salt.. or we like them fried or whatever.. same goes for sweet potatos.. unfortuantely what we don't also realize is that carrots, peas and corn all fall into that same category as well.. classified as a vegetable but more like a carb than anything else.