Major Acne issues

adriannenan
adriannenan Posts: 23 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I've never had a completely blemish free, make-up girl clear kinda face. But it wasn't horrible either. But ever since i started workin out and eating better, it's like crater city on my face. My mom says it's because all the impurities that have been stored up in my body are finally being pushed out. Anybody know if this is true and IF IT WILL END!?

Replies

• cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    In microbiology we are currently learning about the bacteria that cause acne. Your mama could be right about the toxins, but I think it is because you are sweating more. The bacteria that cause acne like the oils on our face. Since you are working out and sweating more your face is going to have more oil secreted on it.

If I were you I would use an exfoliating face wash after your workout and see if that clears things up.

Let me know how it works. Good luck!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    I've been told the same thing. Try adding some fresh cut lemons to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Throw a towell over your head and neck and steam it. it helps to open the pores and pull the gross stuff out. Then splash your face with cool water.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Your body should regulate soon. Here is a great acne soap to check out for only 5 bucks:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/116333-great-acne-soap-that-actually-works?hl=akne#posts-1588235
  • Be sure to cleanse your face well after working out. Sometimes when you sweat, the products from your hair gets on your face. That was an issue for me.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    I will have to watch this thread because I have the same problem. I NEVER had issues with my skin and now I loose 80+lbs...but am a total zit face! And I really have to watch how often I wash my face and what products I use-because I have very sensative skin and my face will be raw.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    If you are working out more, then the "impurities" do come out of your pores via sweat. You need to make sure you are washing your face/body right after you exercise or sweat or your pores will become blocked by those impurities causing acne. I'm not sure if your description means that you don't wear make-up, but if you DO, don't wear it to work out. That'll clog your pores, making the condition worse as well.
  • I'm exactly the same and it happens every time I start a diet.. I started cutting out rubbish on Sunday and, low and behold, I am today the not so proud owner of a huge volcanic eruption on my chin and smaller ones located in other places around the face.
    I'm pretty sure it is the impurites being discharged from your body, especially if you are drinking more water than usual too. All those excess fats that your body has been storing have to go somewhere and better out than in as they say :-)
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Oh, and if all else fails, I highly recommend Proactiv!
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    I would recommend washing your face immediately after working out. Most likely your breakouts are due to sweating. I would try a face wash that has some sort of acne medicine in it, like salitic (sp?) acid or other anti-bacterial agent. I currently am using a face wash made by noxemia, and it is a triple antibiotic face wash that is not harsh on my very sensitive skin. You might try that
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Well, on one hand your mom is right - toxins from our body can come out through our pores and cause breakouts. Some people also have food-related acne (which normally occurs when there is a food allergy - just in case you started eating foods you haven't eaten before). Do you wear make up when you work out? That can easily clog your pores and cause breakouts too. Anytime oil comes in contact with anything on the surface of our skin, even just perspiration, it can clog our pores and cause a breakout.

I've been seeing a dermatologist for the past year for hormonal acne. I think your best bet would be to use a cleanser with salicylic acid to unclog your pores, and if your skin can handle it, you could also try a benzoyle peroxide gel to kill any remaining bacteria.

Bottom line, always make sure your face is make-up free before a workout, and be sure to wash it after your workout! Good luck!! :)
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Oh man...there are so many factors here that could be causing it....

Yes working out could literally be pushing toxins out or causing your skin to break out..

I personally cut back on dairy and my skin cleared up so not sure if you have a lot of dairy in your diet or not but you could try that..

The one thing you don't want to do is go crazy cleaning and using astrigents or chemicals because if you irritate the skin, it prolongs the initial problem. If it doesn't clear up to what you are use to in teh next few weeks-month, maybe visit a dermatologist?
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    I've always had terrible acne, I started using a milder face wash, and cut out most dairy and mine has cleared up.
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    I used to have beautiful skin until I got in my 30's. The doctor put me on the pill and it went away.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    If it doesn't improve see your family doctor or a dermatologist. Acne can be successfully treated and scarring prevented.
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    could be true, I'm not a dermatologist (sp?), but I have had my fair share of acne issues.

Tips:

Check your cleanser, and make sure it's not over drying your skin.
    Always use moisturizer after washing
    Drink lots and lots of water.

Just like our body types, our skin-types are not all the same. Since you are changing up your life, your body and skin are reacting to those changes. What may have worked well for you in the past might not be quite as effective as it used to be.
  • janetv3
    janetv3 Posts: 37 Member
    My daughter has very bad acne and is on the antibiotics for the past 2 years....it really helps.... is it dangerous will you get mrsa...when you do have a infection your body is ammuned to the antibiotics.?
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Hi! Skincare professional here.....

First things first.... True acne is caused by a thicker than normal sebum and bacteria blocking pores. What you are describing is not acne. If you have never had acne in the past, it is not likely that you are going to have it. Your sebum production will most likely lessen with age. You are simply having a bad breakout. Yes it will clear up. And yes, your mom is partly correct. However, if your skin is pushing out toxins, you will most likely notice it on more than just your face. Check your back and butt, those are pretty common areas to. Also, your lifestyle changes are causing changes internally. In addition to pushing out toxins, you are probably having a hormonal reaction. This will all clear up if you stick to your healthy lifestyle without making too many sudden drastic changes... and follow my protocol below. :flowerforyou:

There are 5 steps to skincare. Adding a proper regimen to your healthy lifestyle will keep you looking young and vibrant and feeling amazing!

Before I explain the steps you need to know your skin type. When you wake up in the morning, before you cleanse, tear off a piece of brown paper bag. Press it to your forhead, then a clean spot to your chin, then a clean spot to your cheeks. If you see oil on the bag, you are oily in that area. ONLY if you are really oily all over should you use products for oily skin. Otherwise, you will want something for combonation skin- which is the most common type. If you have no oil anywhere, you have dry skin and should look for a product made for dry skin.

1. CLEANSING-- Do not go buy an acne regimen like Proactive! (Man do we in this feild hate that product, lol) Using products designed for acne can actually make it worse. Take the advice above with the brown aper bag and make sure you are using an appropriate cleanser. Cleanse every morning and every night no matter how tired you are, how drunk you are, how blah, blah, blah..... Just do it. Plus get some of those disposable cleansing cloths to wipe your face after you workout or are outside in the elements for a period of time. If you workout in the morning, then just save your morning cleanse for afterwards. Just make sure you do it RIGHT after. I would recommend double cleansing, especially at night and if you wear any makeup. All that means, is you cleanse once to remove the surface debris, then again to get deep down in the pores. You can use the same cleanser to do this, just double up. You may notice results withing just a few days doing this.
    Dermalogica makes a seperate product for this purpose. It is called Pre-cleanse. It is formulated of mainly oils. Like attracts Like; therefore, pre-cleansing pulls up all the surface oils and then you use your regular cleanser that gets into the pores. Pretty awesome product. If you are rich, I highly recommend it. :laugh:

2. TONE-- Simple enough. I like the spray toners, but you can use the regular ones in the bottle and apply with cotton. Or put it in your own spray bottle. Just a few spritzes after you cleanse will restore your pH balance and they feel good too. Make sure you get a toner, not astringent. Astringent just continues the cleansiing process... but if you use a good cleanser and double cleanse as described, that is plenty. All you want to do is restore pH. That is it with this step.

3. MOISTURIZE-- Probably the most misunderstood step EVER! Do not skip this just because you are breaking out. Oil and moisture are NOT the same. Your skin NEEDS moisture to heal. Opt for an oil free kind without all the fragrances and stuff. Make sure during the day you are using a moisturizer with an SPF and reapply if you will be out in the sun. At night, if you want some extra benefits, use a cream. Night creams are formulated thicker because the body is healing itself while you sleep so the extra stuff really gets used well during that time.

4. EXFOLLIATE/MASQUE-- Just once per week is enough. Exfolliating removes the first layer of the epidermis which is just dead cells, leaving your skin glowing. Plus, when it comes to breakouts, all that dead stuff is mixing with the oils on the skin and clogging pores and creating a breeding ground for bacteria which cause those nasty painful red buggers! There are 2 tyoes of exfolliants. Chemical and mechanical. I like chemical because you don't have to scrub, they just eat the dead stuff and you rinse away. Mechanical are usually gritty- think that apricot scrub that everyone swears by- when you rub it around your face it kind of scratches the dead stuff away. (I mention the apricot stuff because it's not really any good. The grits are too large and too harsh to really get the job done. The extra cheap ingredients in the scrub kind of "fill" in the scratches and give the illusion of a smooth, soft face. In short, it's just not really exfolliating.)

After you exfolliate put on a masque. Have fun with this part. Go to a local public beauty supply and you will probably find a ton of different kinds. Anything with clay will be good for clearing oils. Anything with sea ingredients will be good for protecting and moisturizing. Seriously, go crazy. Try a new one every week till you find one you just can't live without. Then put it on, kick back and relax. Some are really thick and need to harden. Some need to be peeled off- ALWAYS PEEL UPWARDS!

5. SPOT TREAT-- There are two type of spot treatments. Salicylic acid based and benzoyl peroxide. During the day, for regular pimples, stick to salicylic acid. Netrogena makes a pretty good one. They are usually clear gels and can't be spotted while your going about your day. Save benzoyl peroxide treatments for those big, red pimples that hurt. (The bacteria that cause those don't like oxygen, thats why they hurt so bad and get so big.) Benzoyl peroxide delivers oxygen into the pimple and it kills them. These are best used over night because it's usually white. You don't want to mix it with your moisturizer or makeup because it weakens the strength. OXY makes a good one that is 10%. It's great on body acne. Make sure to ONLY use it on pimples. Do not let it touch the surrounding skin because it is VERY drying.

Neutrogena makes some pretty good stuff all around, but they test on animals. I like their stuff otherwise, but sometimes it can be a little too harsh IMHO. Plus, some of the chemicals in the products are just not really neccessary.
    I am Dermalogica trained and I believe that it is the greatest product in the history of the world. BUT it's pricey. You can check it out if you like, I swear by the stuff. http://www.dermalogica.com/us/html/products.html
    Some other good products I like to recommend are Pharmagel, Arbonne, Bioelements, GLO (http://www.gloskincare.com/products.asp?c=10) and skinceuticals

If you wear makeup, make sure to cleanse it off fully before you turn in for the night. And use makeup that is kind to your skin. Mineral makeup is great, Glo Minerals is the BEST and it lasts all year. So if you look into it and the price frightens you, remember it's a once per year deal

I hope that helps you. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. I'm a skincare science nerd. This is my passion!
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Oh I almost forgot!

NEVER pop! If they are white heads and no red around the edges, then it's cleansing over them will probably break them open and clear them out.

If they are red, squeezing will blow out the bottom of the follicle and just make it worse.

Clean your phone often so you aren't reinfecting your cheeks.

And finally, keep your fingers off! The oils on you hands are not equal to the oils on your face.

Ok, thats it :laugh:
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Thank you for the skincare advice!
  • Bump. Great advice, this post was very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.