clean protein bars

Options
2»

Replies

• meg427
    meg427 Posts: 6
    Options
    Think Thin bars are delish! They have 0 sugars and are about 200 a bar.. Also the pure protein bars are good they have very low sugar and they taste good also.. I prefer the think thin bars though to me they taste really really good
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are what I go for after a workout if I'm out of my power. They taste good and have just the right amount of protein. The calories aren't that bad; after a workout I usually have plenty of calories to eat to make up for the burnt ones.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I recently went through every offering in CVS, and found that Kashi actually makes the best post workout bars for someone trying to lose weight. They are very low in sugar, lower than all the Odwalla varieties, CLIF and Luna. I don't bother looking at anything with artificial sweeteners, though.

The only thing I worry about with some of these bars is that they contain soy protein isolate or Textured Vegetable Protein. This "food component" may or not be that great of a protein source. I still need to do more research. For a great post workout snack, I've been ditching the bars in favor of dried fruits with nuts, or a small container of organic chocolate milk.

I found this article on Ask Men helpful

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness/34_fitness_list.html

I also caution against "Full Bars" which made me so gassy and bloated that I was completely miserable for hours.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    why not make your own? You will have better control over the ingredients and quality. It's not hard to do. My hubby goes gaga for these ones and takes them as a cookie to work:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/make-your-own-primal-energy-bars-in-10-easy-steps/

I just run it all through a food processor, and then mashed them into greased muffin tins, and allow to set overnight. You could add some protein powder to up the ante if you want ;)

That's a FANTASTIC idea! In place of protein powder, ground almonds or almond flour also works.
  • mrs_mouse
    mrs_mouse Posts: 24
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended Elevate Me bars and they are SOOOOO delicious. Best I've found for taste and texture. THey're also in 3 little pieces so you can just have one or two, or the whole bar, depending on the situation.

Nutritional Stats for the one I brought today (Blueberry Cranberry Goji Berry Boost) are:
    230 cals
    3.5g fat
    45mg sodium
    36g carbs
    4g fibre
    30g sugars
    16g protein

So they are a bit higher in carbs/sugars, but the trade-off for me is that they are really natural... they don't have ANY chemicals or fillers in them... just real food (hence the higher sugars).

Ingredients:
    whey protein isolate, dates, organic raisins, almonds, apples, cranberries, blueberries, goji berries

I find for a snack, just one square is often enough, so that would be 1/3 of the NI listed above. Before yoga or as a breakfast replacement I eat the whole bar.
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    Clif Builder bars are my bar of choice. They are great!

-Rain

would you say they are more meal bars rather then snack bars?

Very high Protein, decent Calories, but definitely not a meal replacement. I use them between meals.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended Elevate Me bars and they are SOOOOO delicious. Best I've found for taste and texture. THey're also in 3 little pieces so you can just have one or two, or the whole bar, depending on the situation.

Nutritional Stats for the one I brought today (Blueberry Cranberry Goji Berry Boost) are:
    230 cals
    3.5g fat
    45mg sodium
    36g carbs
    4g fibre
    30g sugars
    16g protein

So they are a bit higher in carbs/sugars, but the trade-off for me is that they are really natural... they don't have ANY chemicals or fillers in them... just real food (hence the higher sugars).

Ingredients:
    whey protein isolate, dates, organic raisins, almonds, apples, cranberries, blueberries, goji berries

I find for a snack, just one square is often enough, so that would be 1/3 of the NI listed above. Before yoga or as a breakfast replacement I eat the whole bar.

That's just way too much sugar for me. I'd never eat a snack with 30g of sugar.

Another all natural variety I found recently is Heart Thrive...2oz bars (2 per pack) that are nice and chewy. Good flavors, and they are really packed with some good stuff.

http://www.suncakes.com/Thrive.htm

theyre in the MFP database too
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Think Thin bars are delish! They have 0 sugars and are about 200 a bar.. Also the pure protein bars are good they have very low sugar and they taste good also.. I prefer the think thin bars though to me they taste really really good

Where do you get the Think Thin bars?? Does Whole Foods have them?
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options

I'm thinking about ordering some of the Think Thin bars, but I think the pure protein ones are GROSS. :tongue: Do the Think Thin ones have a similar taste or would you say they are better?