eating out.. help!

Options
Me and my friend are going to dinner tonight at a nice seafood restaurant. I've looked everywhere online and I can't find any nutrition information about their menu. I'm thinking I should be pretty safe if I just order the broiled salmon with veggies only but I don't want to accidentally consume more than I expected. I'm thinking of just adding an hour of cardio to my workout today just to be on the safe side.
Also I plan on ordering a drink with dinner. I can't stand wine.. Any low cal suggestions?

Replies

• Jesseann
    Jesseann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you will be ok with the salmon and veggies. I would stay away from the alcohol and have a diet soda instead...but I am not a drinker so I wouldn't be able to suggest any drinks.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    salmon or shrimp are both low calorie...just avoid any sauces...get any dressing on the side if a salad comes with the meal...and avoid bread if they offer it

oh yeah...and nothing breaded or fried
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    oh god this thread title xD

but yeah you sound pretty safe with broiled or grilled salmon and veggies
    make sure to ask them not to add butter to them

as far as a low cal drink if you dont like wine, stick to bacardi and diet coke. it wields only 64 calories.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    As long as you stay away from heavy/cream based sauces, you should be ok with salmon and veggies. Just drink a ton of water because restaurants have a tendency of adding way too much sodium to everything!
  • strapple
    Options
    oh a mojito might be a nice drink too especially to compliment the fish

just make sure to ask for half sugar
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would fit in the extra workout and just enjoy yourself. Be sure to ask if they use butter or oil in cooking. I found this list on some website, not sure how accurate it is.
    Pina Colada (6 oz): 378 calories
    Mojito (8 oz): 214 calories
    Cosmopolitan (4 oz): 200 calories
    Chocolate martini: (2 oz each vodka, chocolate liqueur, cream, 1/2 oz creme de cacao, chocolate syrup): 438
    Margarita (8 oz): 280
    Green apple martini (1 oz each vodka, sour apple, apple juice): 148
    Martini (2.5 oz): 160
    Port wine (3 oz):128
    Bloody Mary (5 oz): 118
    Red wine (5 oz):120
    White wine (5 oz): 120
    Alcohol-free wine (5 oz): 20-30
    Beer (12 oz): 150-198
    Light beer (12 oz): 95-136
    Ultra-light beer (12 oz): 64-95
    Champagne (5oz): 106-120
    Coffee liqueur (3 ounces): 348
    Godiva chocolate liqueur (3 oz): 310
    Wine spritzer (5 oz): 100
    Eggnog with rum (8 ounces): 370
    Hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps (8 oz): 380
    Hot buttered rum (8 oz): 292
    Spiced cider with rum ( 8 oz):150
    Mulled wine (5 oz): 200
    Vodka and tonic (8 oz): 200
    Screwdriver (8 oz): 190
    Mimosa (4 oz): 75
    Gin and tonic (7 oz): 200
    Long Island iced tea (8 oz): 780
    White Russian (2 oz vodka, 1.5 oz coffee liqueur, 1.5 oz cream): 425
    Mai Tai (6 oz) (1.5 oz rum, 1/2 oz cream de along, 1/2 oz triple sec, sour mix, pineapple juice): 350
    Rum and Coke (8 oz): 185
    Rum and Diet Coke (8 oz): 100
    Mike's Hard Lemonade (11 oz): 98
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Water! :laugh:

Light beer? (bleck) The grilled salmon is probably a good choice. Ask your server to ask the chef to use little or no oil/butter in cooking. Also ask them to use light or no seasoning (SODIUM!!!) for the fish or veggies (you can always salt them yourself at the table).

For portion control your palm of your hand or approx. the size of one deck of cards is roughly one 3-4 oz serving of meat/fish.

Watch the bread too! Have fun!
  • caloriemallory
    Options
    The lowest cal thing you can get at a seafood restaurant is lobster tail!!!! a giant rock lobster tail is only 90 calories!! Add broccoli and a side salad with their light dressing and you're set :] Salmon can be high in fat and calories :]
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Check out some basic calories on here for the seafood of your choice and of course veggies is a good choice. For the drink, here is a website that might help you. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/low-calorie-cocktails It lets you know the calories of the alcohol. Just know it is what you mix with it that really ads up. A drink with diet coke would be a better choice than high calorie jucies. Also there are so low calorie beers.
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    Oooh good to know a mojito is relatively low cal. They're my fav! might have one.. or maybe a captain and diet?
    I'm excited to have a drink tonight since I had a baby a couple weeks ago.. I haven't been out for a drink since I turned 21!
  • strapple
    Options
    Oooh good to know a mojito is relatively low cal. They're my fav! might have one.. or maybe a captain and diet?
    I'm excited to have a drink tonight since I had a baby a couple weeks ago.. I haven't been out for a drink since I turned 21!
    they can be as high as 210 though if you don't ask for half sugar/alternative sweetner

with half sugar its around 110
    im not sure about with alternative sweetner because ive never had it
  • Britt22706
    Options
    I'd watch out for a lot of mixed drinks because the mixers are usually sugary based syrups. Ask for a sugar free variety, or maybe just go with the Captain and Diet?

As what to order, shrimp is always delicious! You can have 12 very nice size shrimp for around 60 calories, that way, you can splurge with a little butter and garlic and it will still be under 200 calories! Plus you may eat them slower (fill up faster) because they are little more work to eat than salmon. Order the shrimp and a steamed veggie such as broccoli! I'd watch out for the side salad at restaurants though, you never know what they are sneaking into them!!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I own a restaurant, and if they're like most restaurants, they will pour the butter on the salmon. You should feel free to ask your server for the exact ingredients, then if they say "butter", you can say no butter, or go easy on the butter. Same with the grilled veggies, and anything else you order. Then you can put the ingredients in MFP one by one and get a good a more accurate idea. My guess is that salmon will be 6-7 oz.

Just make sure you tip the server extra. They really appreciate that for the extra work you'll be giving them.
  • mleah2
    mleah2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Depending on what state you live in, the restaurant might have nutrition sheets but you have to ask for them. A drink I like that is not a lot of calories, (I do WW, so know points more than calories). Vodka with diet tonic and twist of lime. Yum!