carbs under 100g

Options
nat102
nat102 Posts: 118 Member
how the heck do you keep your carbs under 100g? i'm not looking for personal opinions on low carb diets in general.. JW WHAT I CAN EAT... i mean, i've had breakfast and lunch and am around 70g already. ay caramba! would love to see some meal plans of people eating low carb :)

Replies

• MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo/Primal, so that means no grains or dairy, so it's actually pretty easy too considering my carbs come from only fruits and veggies....
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My version of low car is under 200g...some days I'm around 150. Probably never under 100. Feel free to look at my diary, but today is not a typical day for me - darn Cadbury eggs!
  • MissKim
    Options
    I do remember how hard it was when i first got into low carbing...esp while still drinking milk, it was full of carbs and sugar, and I loved it! but, I'm much better off now without it. (i still have some cheese though)
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    I am surprised by how quickly the carbs add up too. I have never used a service like this and in the past would only count grain carbs....I never noticed all the carbs in veggies and fruits before using this.

I have been trying to get my carbs way lower than 100 g and aside from already lowering my grains to one 25 g serving per day, am debating lowering the fruits to one 25 g or less serving a day as well. I believe most of the veggie carbs are okay because there is a lot of fiber in those grams and fiber is not stored as fat. The fruits on the other hand have a lot of sugar and I know on traditional low carb plans fruits are limited.

So what I am going to try is one serving 25 g of grains, one serving 25 g of fruits, and see how low that gets me. Let me know what you come up with!
    Donna
  • redrustdobe
    Options
    I've done the "Lean for Life" plan which calls for keeping your carbs under 100g per day... Try tuna, string cheese, cottage cheese, lean meats, spinach and other low carb veggies.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I aim to keep my carbs under 100, and I am a big fan of dairy products!

I know I should eat more veggies than I typically do. Working on that. If most of your carbs come from veggies, it's quite easy to stay under.

But I've found that if I limit things like bread and pasta, I don't have trouble staying under 100 carbs per day. Since I've been on MFP, my calorie goal has ranged between 1340 and 1270 (MFP changed it when I lost ten pounds). I tihnk it would be tougher for someone with much higher calorie goals.
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I have to agree with that other post, too - I gave up dairy except for one cheese stick and "light and fit - carb control" yogurt. Within days of giving up all that milk and sugary yogurt I was down 5 lbs.
  • nat102
    Options
    misskim: i've been looking into that diet... thanks for the advice!

momma3: thank you! 200g may be a god starting goal for me.. i will def take a peek for some ideas :)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    No dairy, no fruit, no bread/pasta/rice
  • nat102
    Options
    thanks for the food ideas, guys! what do you eat for a meal tho? i just can't wrap my head around the idea of a complete meal with no carbs.... i'm so out of my comfort zone, ha!
  • shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    I've been following the Belly Fat Cure. It's 15 grams of Sugar or less per day, and roughly around 100-120 grams of carbs.

A typical day looks like this for me

Breakfast: 100gram Greek 0%M/F Yogurt
    1/2 Cup Fibre One Original Cereal
    3 Large Strawberries

Lunch: 2 Slices Mack's Flax Bread
    Tuna or other protein
    Salad with small amount of dressing (usually caesar)
    Real Mayo

Snack: Almonds

Dinner: Lean Protein of some sort (Usually 4-5 oz)
    Salad
    1/2 Cup of Rice or Potatoes (Not always though)

Snack: Cheese/Veggies

Hope this helps! :D
  • nat102
    Options
    I've been following the Belly Fat Cure. It's 15 grams of Sugar or less per day, and roughly around 100-120 grams of carbs.

A typical day looks like this for me

Breakfast: 100gram Greek 0%M/F Yogurt
    1/2 Cup Fibre One Original Cereal
    3 Large Strawberries

Lunch: 2 Slices Mack's Flax Bread
    Tuna or other protein
    Salad with small amount of dressing (usually caesar)
    Real Mayo

Snack: Almonds

Dinner: Lean Protein of some sort (Usually 4-5 oz)
    Salad
    1/2 Cup of Rice or Potatoes (Not always though)

Snack: Cheese/Veggies

Hope this helps! :D

this definitely looks do-able and slightly less intimidating than expected!! :)
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Things that have few carbs:
    Meats, Cheeses, green vegetables, nuts, eggs...

Things that have lots of carbs:
    Breads, pastas, potatoes, fruits, cereals...

My biggest beef with low carb is that it makes food less convenient... No breads to make an easily carriable sandwich, no chips to scoop up whatever kind of dip, etc.

The real trick is low carb without getting high fat in exchange.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Let's see....last week I made, Shrimp/Chicken cooked in a casserole dish with squash,zuchinni,onions, and bell pepper (it was yummy!), also made roasted chicken with greens, baked porkchops with roasted cauliflower(love that stuff roasted!), ofcourse I can't cook like that everyday, so i make alot of chicken and fish and just keep it in the fridge to eat on during the week. i also rely on those steambags of veggies! for snacks, i eat alot of boiled eggs, bacon, beef jerky, almonds, almond butter, and salads. Hope that helps.....and some occasional cheese, what can i say, its hard to give up!

also, would like to note, that my lifestyle doesn't worry too much about fat. Your body runs on fat in lieu of carbs. as long as it's healthy fats like found in meat and eggs....
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 200 carbs. Most days Im under but i do go over some days. But usually not more than 20
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    make sure you are counting NET CARBS...carbs - fiber

feel free to take a look at my food diary...I attempt to stay around 100 net carbs a day (most of the time)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    how the heck do you keep your carbs under 100g? i'm not looking for personal opinions on low carb diets in general.. JW WHAT I CAN EAT... i mean, i've had breakfast and lunch and am around 70g already. ay caramba! would love to see some meal plans of people eating low carb :)
    my carbs tend to stay under 100g and i am for 90g protein a day
    feel free to take a look at my diary
    now i have a LOT to lose, and my GP sent me for a scan and my stomach was 3x the size it should be, so I am really limiting my portions and having as much water as i can to fill my stomach so my brain thinks im full
    am on 1200kcals a day
    am avoiding bread because i only like granary and its higher in kcals because of the seeds in it so it's only gonna be had for a wee treat or if im really under my kcals for a day i might have a slice of toast
    what i have may not work for you, but feel free to take a wee look
  • nat102
    Options
    make sure you are counting NET CARBS...carbs - fiber

feel free to take a look at my food diary...I attempt to stay around 100 net carbs a day (most of the time)

carbs cancelled out by fiber? never heard of this approach.
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    as diabetiic I can only have 120 carbs. 100 is tuff! my diatician said no more than 3- 30 carb meals and 2-15 carb snacks. The fiber is subtracted from carb so eat high fiber things also.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    www.marksdailyapple.com, checkout the book Primal Blueprint.

Raw almonds
    eggs
    International egg whites
    meats
    pumpkin seeds

try to limit breads, white potatoes, rice...