Another Question

Options
I have another question. I just recently started weight training as part of my exercise routine. I'm wondering how many times a week is good for weight training. I'm obviously not trying to bulk up, I just want to tone. I only get to the gym around 4 times a week (which hopefully I can make more often). Should I be weight training every time?It's usually Monday through Thursday that I get to the gym and I've been doing cardio only on Monday and Wednesday and weights with cardio on Tuesday and Thursday. Is this enough? I get more cardio in not at the gym throughout the week. I'd just like some opinions. Thanks.

*kistinbee*

Replies

• kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I have another question. I just recently started weight training as part of my exercise routine. I'm wondering how many times a week is good for weight training. I'm obviously not trying to bulk up, I just want to tone. I only get to the gym around 4 times a week (which hopefully I can make more often). Should I be weight training every time?It's usually Monday through Thursday that I get to the gym and I've been doing cardio only on Monday and Wednesday and weights with cardio on Tuesday and Thursday. Is this enough? I get more cardio in not at the gym throughout the week. I'd just like some opinions. Thanks.

*kistinbee*
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    In order to get stronger, your muscles must have recovery time.I was training with weights three times a week, and have scaled down to twice, because my doctor was worried I wasn't getting enough recovery time. (I also do yoga, which is surprisingly good at toning) He told me if I was still really sore, I wasn't waiting long enough. (I have other health issues that effect this)

Currently, I'm doing Monday and Thursday, and I'm noticing more definition, and I've had to up my weights.

I've just read a story that three times per week will give you faster results (but you should have at least a day for recovery), but even one time a week has proven beneficial.

Hope that helps:flowerforyou:
  • soretooth1
    Options

*kistinbee*

You will not have a problem with bulking unless you are taking certain drugs or supplements for that purpose. The body builder women who are bulky are that way because they increase their testosterone levels or are taking supplements that cause them to be that way. 4 times a week is plenty when starting to go to the guy. It's also important if you have never lifted weights, to get someone to give you pointers on the correct way to lift. You will get more results by doing it the right way. Be sure to warm your joints up with light exercises, before really pushing yourself too hard. The Body for Life http://www.bodyforlife.com/ weight lifting plan is a great way to get started. Good Luck
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi...from what I have read, when you weight train you need to rest the muscle group for a day after working it...lighter weights and higher repititions are good for toning...you can weight train everyday if you rotate routines...if you weight train twice a week it could be lower body one time and upper the next...when I'm in weight training mode I like to work from the bottom up:

Day 1: lunges, squats, step ups & romanian deadlift
    Day 2: bent over rows, one arm rows, bench press, flys and pushups
    Day 3: upright rows, lateral raises, shouler presses
    Day 4: dips, curls and tricep extensions
    Take a rest day or 2 and start over

Change up types of exercises you do...choose 3 or 4 exercises per muscle group...2 to 3 sets...add more sets when you're ready...increase amount of weight when you're ready.

You can see by my picture that I fell off the wagon...I'm new here and just starting up again...I bellydance for fun and cardio...also practice Fluidity...and have goal to incorporate my weight training more regulary...I used to work out with the military every work day and was in great shape just a few short years ago...so mad at myself for letting go...but I am back at it.

Check out "Muscle and Fitness" & "Muscle and Fitness Hers"...they have online sites as well.

Best to You,
    Fat Dancer
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Thanks. These are all really good pieces of advice. I have spoken with a personal trainer and met with her once. She ran me through several exercises and showed me the proper way to do them. I do warm up every time with a half hour on an elliptical machine at a lower pace. That gets the blood flowing! So, I think for now I will try doing upper body on Tuesdays and Thursdays and lower body on Wednesdays and Saturdays and then Monday and Wednesday can be devoted to only cardio. Then I will work in abs (on the stability ball and I have some 10 minute videos) at least three times per week. I'm going to try and use lower weight for more repititions with like 2-3 sets. This is the goal.

**I think everything will get easier when my gym actually opens. See, I joined Aspen Athletic Club just a couple months ago and they were temporarily in this small building until the new gym opens (next week...FINALLY!!) So, they have limited machines and offer no classes yet. Plus, they have really messed up hours (M-Th 8-8, F 8-6 and Sat/Sun 9-2). So, as you can probably tell, getting to the gym is sometimes limited! But, next week the actual gym opens and I plan on taking a spinning class, step class, yoga class, stability ball/core training, and a weight training class. I look forward to this. And, I can go before work some mornings or later in the evening! So, I look forward to this and hope that it will make my work outs a little easier to accomplish.

*kistinbee*
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options

*kistinbee*

You will not have a problem with bulking unless you are taking certain drugs or supplements for that purpose. The body builder women who are bulky are that way because they increase their testosterone levels or are taking supplements that cause them to be that way. 4 times a week is plenty when starting to go to the guy. It's also important if you have never lifted weights, to get someone to give you pointers on the correct way to lift. You will get more results by doing it the right way. Be sure to warm your joints up with light exercises, before really pushing yourself too hard. The Body for Life http://www.bodyforlife.com/ weight lifting plan is a great way to get started. Good Luck

Not always true! I bulk up very easily and have always struggled with my muscle mass. When running in college, I was 145lbs. That's big for a cross-country runner, most of my teammater were in the 120s. However, I was well under 20% bodyfat and only a couple other girls were anywhere near that. I have never supplemented, just blessed to be able to outlift most of the men on my team! I HAVE to do low-mod weight at very high reps, eccentric focus, in order to tone without bulking up. Everyone will respond in very individual ways!:happy:
  • alymarest
    Options

*kistinbee*

Not always true! I bulk up very easily and have always struggled with my muscle mass. When running in college, I was 145lbs. That's big for a cross-country runner, most of my teammater were in the 120s. However, I was well under 20% bodyfat and only a couple other girls were anywhere near that. I have never supplemented, just blessed to be able to outlift most of the men on my team! I HAVE to do low-mod weight at very high reps, eccentric focus, in order to tone without bulking up. Everyone will respond in very individual ways!:happy:

I agree with ariannedavis, I also bulk up easily and have to do low weight high rep routines. My parents both are the same way. My mother was even a body builder in the 80's and she never took supplements or took drugs.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended 45 minutes 3x per week as a general starting point. The basic goal is to allow your body time to recover, the pain is usually caused by lactic acid so you will want to do cardio on off days.

I belong to a gym and at my gym you can meet with a personal trainer once a month for a "fitness assesment" for free. Yes they try to sell me personal training sessions, which I have yet to buy, but the great thing is they tell me what I am doing too much of or too little of and they actually look at my food log on this site and help me make adjustments. You may want to see if your gym has a similar offer.
  • soretooth1
    Options

*kistinbee*

I agree with ariannedavis, I also bulk up easily and have to do low weight high rep routines. My parents both are the same way. My mother was even a body builder in the 80's and she never took supplements or took drugs.

Sorry ladies, :blushing: mark me wrong, just going by the female bodybuilder/ fitness trainer at my gym. She has won several bodybuilding shows and has arms that I would die for. Thats the info she gave me:bigsmile: