Question about heart rate monitor

Options
I have a Polar HRM and I'm wondering if I'm recording my info right on MFP. When I start my workout I start my HRM and then take my pulse about every ten minutes. Once my workout is done I stop the HRM and then record my calories it shows on MFP. Is the calories burned on my HRM not the correct # burned? I;ve read some people on here suggesting that I need to sit down for 10 min with the HRM to see what I burn sitting and then subtract so much from what my total is after a work out. I'm sooo confused now.. Anyone know??

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    mfp is generally a guess..if your hrm has a chest strap, take the word of it instead of on here..
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I go by my HRM only now. I don' t make any calculations and I count the calories that I burn until my heart rate gets under 100.
  • LilBrat71
    LilBrat71 Posts: 60
    Options
    I purchased one without the chest strap and found it to be inaccurate. I returned it, went to sports authority and purchased one with the chest strap. It seems to be more accurate.
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    the calories burned, that are listed on MFP, are guesses based on the "average person" and since not everyone is "average" it is best to trust the number on your HRM, since it is calibrated for you specifically
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yep trust the hrm more. hen I do 30 day shred, mfp says I burn 298 cals. Hrm says 257 - 268.
  • nessieslc
    nessieslc Posts: 34
    Options
    I start my HRM when I start working out and stop it after I finish and use that for what I put into MFP. Go with what your HRM tells you, not MFP