My face gets BRIGHT red when working out. Help!

Options

Replies

• Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    my face turns red at the slightest bit of exertion, i also blush REALLY easily. my nose and cheeks are always red anyways, are yours?

Yup, I always have red cheeks within an hour of waking up. I finally found the perfect foundation that entirely covers it up though...only took five years. Too bad it doesn't hold up during a workout!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Take an antihistamine right before working out. It works on the blood vessels to keep you from turning red. I read that trick in either fitness magazine, or women's health (cant remember which!). I'm very fair skinned too :flowerforyou:

That's interesting! I'll have to try it.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Fair-skinned redhead here, too! It happens to me all the time. I also sweat like crazy when I'm working out. As long as you FEEL good then you're fine :) just make sure to stay hydrated!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Take an antihistamine right before working out. It works on the blood vessels to keep you from turning red. I read that trick in either fitness magazine, or women's health (cant remember which!). I'm very fair skinned too :flowerforyou:

Oooh! Thanks for sharing!
  • margonadeau
    margonadeau Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I was on my tredmill at home and my Aunt stoped by and i was so red she thought i was having a stroke. When I go to the gymI go about my business and let them look.
  • jltodd99
    jltodd99 Posts: 89
    Options
    That used to happen to my dad - but his was due to high blood pressure.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Oooh! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome ladies :smile: Just be careful you don't end up taking a "drowsy" version or you may fall asleep on the treadmill (though, at least your cheeks won't be red, right??)! :laugh:
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    haha. happens to me too and i am olive skinned. I like it though, I think it makes me look hardcore. lol
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    As a retired P.A. can I at least *suggest* that before you decide to just "live with it" that you at least check your pulse and blood pressure at least once or twice when you're working out to capacity? A lot of people have home monitoring equipment that you could use, either at home or at the gym, just to be sure. While it is incredibly common for fair skinned people to have this reaction, I'd hate to ignore the obvious concern. :-)
    Good luck!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So much so that I can see other gym goers sneaking peaks...of concern or disdain, I don't know. Though I try to exercise pretty hard and am starting a running program, I'm not gasping for air or about to keel over. But my face makes it look like I am. I'm fair skinned and a redhead who blushes easily.

Is this ok? Or am I pushing too hard without realizing it? Any tips on minimizing this (or the embarrassment?)

I've been diagnosed with rosacea and also tend to turn beet red after a hard workout. You can read a bit about it at rosacea.org. You may want to check with a dermatologist to make sure either way.

May not be an issue for you at all, just thought I would throw it out there.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone!
    May I add that it is good for your skin as well? It is basically blood rushing to the surface of your skin, which increases your circulation, which brings all the good stuff in your blood to your skin, so you are getting sort of an "inner facial!" It's another great benefit of cardio/working out, great skin!
    On a personal note, during my workouts, I don't turn bright red- I get ghostly white in my cheeks and forehead, and I get a bright red "ring" around the rest of my face, like some weird mask! Ew! But my trainer loves it. He says he can tell when I'm working really hard!
    Make sure you aren't working too hard! Do you have a heart rate monitor?
  • xoleyam
    xoleyam Posts: 1
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I actually just got done working out now and was just at the gym at people kept looking at me! I am in shape but my beat red face while working out, no matter how much more exercise I get then others, makes me feel like I am less in shape. I feel fine when I'm working out until I see my BRIGHT RED FACE! It makes me feel like I shouldn't work out as hard but I don't want to compromise my body for my embarrassing red face!
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Fair-skinned redhead here, too! It happens to me all the time. I also sweat like crazy when I'm working out. As long as you FEEL good then you're fine :) just make sure to stay hydrated!

I am the exact same way....I get red-faced and I sweat like crazy! My first workout my trainer asked if I was ok, now he knows what I look like when I'm going hardcore!

If you still look cute at the end of your workout, then you didnt train hard enough. :)
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, red hair and pale skin. I've read that taking antihistamines helps, but I don't think it's worth it. I usually just go with it. I figure that I probably look weird, but they're probably just jealous at how awesome my workout is :P

Plus red hair is awesome :P

Yes, yes and YES :)

I have the same issue, red hair, pale skin (aside from freckles).
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    same here. pale skin, I get red reallly easily. I just try not to let it bother me :3
    I've also dyed my hair red... xD fits me because I have freckles too :D:blushing:
  • rmarie98
    rmarie98 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thought I was the only one... after like 10min of jogging, my face looks redder than a tomato! I have asthma thought so that might be it... :)
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're wondering if they're not working hard enough?
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too, I just make a joke out of it
  • sarahxcx
    sarahxcx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yip me too, fair skin and hair, end up with a face like a tomato when I work out, my OH does like to tease, but least I know if my face is red I have had a good work out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yep yep - bright red face here too! UGH! :mad: I was hoping it'd get better when I lost some weight and got more in shape - but you guys aren't giving me much hope!