Running on a treadmill vs. open running - which is easier to

Options
2»

Replies

• 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    treadmill running is easier, but, you're gonna get more 'bang for your buck' by running outside. Pay attention to posture, how you hold your hands, how you land on your feet, and invest in good shoes.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    running and walking is okay. some say they recomend it because ''interval'' running/walking will help you burn more and increase stamina.
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    I always find it easier to do 3miles on the treadmill. I was doing 3miles on the treadmill for a couple months, when I was practicing for my first 5k race I was blown away at how much harder it was on me running outside. It was definitely harder on my joints..and it made me more tired. I think maybe because the ground isn't moving you forward..YOU are moving yourself forward.

Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5k.

I love running outside. I only tolerate the treadmill. But I live in a beautiful rural community with temperatures that range from 45 in the winter to only about 75 in the summer. The posts that say you should set an incline are correct.

I am a personal trainer (22 years in the industry), and I was never much of a runner, but my last boss was a professional marathoner. She claims that running on hills, both up and down are much better overall for your joints and creating muscle balance. You can't do downhills on a treadmill. I agree with my former boss. A lot of people don't think about "muscle balance". It means working different angles of your muscles and different types of contractions (lenthening and shortening) If you do the treadmill all the time, you will not gain muscle balance. And long term could actually lead to injury.

However, you cannot just go for it outside. Build it up slowly.

My suggestion is to try a walk run outside, kinda like you might have to build up to the 5 k. Break everything up in 10 minute increments, and go for about 40 minutes. Start with 6minutes of walking and 4 minutes of jogging. Repeat 3 more times for a total of 40 minutes....then cool down. Do this workout 3 x's per week. Then the next week do it three times but change the ratio of walk run to 5:5. The next week it's 4:6. The next week is 3:7. The next week is 2:8. Then 1:9.....After that make sure your warm up walk for 5 minutes, then do a 14 minute jog, followed by a 1 minute walk, and repeat once. The next week, after warm up do a 19 minute jog, and 1 minute walk, and then a 14:1 again. Finally, do 19:1 2 x's. That's almost 40 minutes of straight running outside. Then try running 30 minutes straight, and add on 5 minutes per week, until you can do a 5 k and then some! I have now done 2 marathons and several half marathons. And I never thought I would do that. But I often go back to this type of a program to safely build my miles up again. The more I study, the more I am convinced that a lot of people can run, if they build it up properly, taper back, and build it up again. Do cross training, and strength training, self massage, and you can enjoy one of the most effective, rewarding, endorphin building, economical, self satisfying forms of exercise available....for YEARS TO COME!

I know there are phones with gps devices on them. I don't have those. I bought a Garmin gps device off ebay for $85. It was refurbished and under warranty. It saved me $200. It tells me my pace, my time, my miles etc, and I wear it on my wrist. Then I plug it into my computer, and it downloads my runs, with graphs, maps and elevations. That is the best investment I ever made.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just a note, NPR (National Public Radio) recently had a segment saying that running can actually improve your joints! How cool is that!

I'm SO glad to hear this! I get sick of hearing people whine about how "bad for your joints" running is. Not if you're an average height/weight, it's not! Running is fabulous for your body. Glad to hear people starting to publicize this!!! :bigsmile:
  • c2sky
    Options
    I'm also really excited to hear about the NPR report. Any idea on how to access that? I agree that I'm also sick to death of hearing "running is bad for joints" We were made to run. Although I admit pavement was not a natural landscape, so maybe trails are in order. Regardless, I heartily agree. It is my experience through meeting many runners, and training a few, that people can build themselves up to running outside.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I find running outside way easier. I go faster with less effort, even when there's hills and wind involved. And since there's moving air, I don't get as overheated and sweaty.

I agree with this too.....weird since most said treadmill was easier....now I am a big girl and CANNOT run longer than a couple of minutes of the treadmill and can easily do about 20min outside...of course, jogging is more like it....
  • c2sky
    Options
    http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

Here is the link.....good sound advice, and nothing new to me. Again, caution to people 20 pounds overweight or more and other cautions....READ. Great article.

And below is Runner's world reaction.

I love this!!!
  • nessieslc
    nessieslc Posts: 34
    Options
    I think running outside is easier as I get very bored on the treadmill. No matter what WTG on the running!
  • KarenLouise1981
    Options
    Get outside and get some fresh air into your lungs!! Buy an ipod/mp3 and load it up with motivating music, put your RUNNING shoes on and just go! The treadmill is easier and you can control your pace/speed and it is still a brilliant workout but outside you have natural inclines, ever changing scenery, fresh air, and YOU have to push yourself forward! So what if you have to run/walk until you build up endurance, I promise you will feel as though you have had a proper workout and your endorphines will be going crazy when you get home! Hmmm think i'm gonna have to go for my 15km run to the beach and back now :-)

Have fun!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Running on a dreadmill is easier on your body - but sooooo boring! Ugh! I live in the Pacific Northwest so I spent a great deal of the year running in rain, high winds, cold temps, more rain....all preferable to running in a climate controlled gym and being forced to watch Fox News because some old lady got there a few minutes before you and grabbed the remote control.