looking for pecan recipes

Options
crazytxmom
crazytxmom Posts: 166 Member
I have been given an 8lb box of pecan halves. I did a quick on-line search and nearly every recipe I found was the super sweet, gooey, fattening kind. Not that I don't love all of those, but I'd like to find something that wouldn't require a 3 hour workout to offset. :noway:

So...I'm requesting your delicious pecan recipes for main dishes, sides and non-regrettable desserts.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you bake a chocolate cake-throw some in. Then frost it and add pecans on top. Add them to your cookie recipes. Add them on salads. You can add them to most anything you make. If you like sweet potatoes cook them,fry them in a little butter then top them with a small amount of brown sugar and pecans. They're so yummy.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sugared pecans? They are desert type snack but are easy to make 9and you can just eat a few at a time0. They keep really well in a tin or sealed container.

Servings (Help)

US
    Metric Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 1 pound
    Ingredients
    1 egg white
    1 tablespoon water
    1 pound pecan halves
    1 cup white sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Grease one baking sheet.
    2.In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white and water until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
    3.Add pecans to egg whites, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts, and toss them in the sugar mixture until coated. Spread the nuts out on the prepared baking sheet.
    4.Bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 328 | Total Fat: 27.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sugared pecans? They are desert type snack but are easy to make 9and you can just eat a few at a time0. They keep really well in a tin or sealed container.

Servings (Help)

US
    Metric Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 1 pound
    Ingredients
    1 egg white
    1 tablespoon water
    1 pound pecan halves
    1 cup white sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Directions
    1.Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Grease one baking sheet.
    2.In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white and water until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
    3.Add pecans to egg whites, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts, and toss them in the sugar mixture until coated. Spread the nuts out on the prepared baking sheet.
    4.Bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 328 | Total Fat: 27.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

PS: You can keep them almost indefinately in the freezer (before you ever do anything to them).
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I do a couple of things...I'll add some to my morning oatmeal just to mix it up. I'll also make my own 'trail mix' and put a pre-measured amount in those small snack size baggies (otherwise I'll go overboard). I crush them up and add them to my pancake batter...I found a good low cal cottage cheese pancake recipe on here. You can add them to salad or yogurt too...they are full of great stuff.