They might be laughing, but...

TS65
TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I've seen a lot of posts here from people who are intimidated by the gym - afraid people will laugh at them. And, I'm sure there are those that will. BUT... you might be surprised at who you inspire.

I started the c25k on 2/28. The first week, I couldn't get through the first workout. Up through week 3 & 4, I had to repeat EVERY SINGLE DAY. I've since moved over to the c210k program and am doing better on that. I'm a member of Dailymile.com - and every time I log a run, it also updates my FB page.

Yesterday, I got a private message from a HS friend (we graduated in the early 80's) saying:

" Hello Ms. Inspiration. Can you tell me the programs/apps you really like for walking/running training? I want to join you, Sweetie! I'm so proud of you."

Now, I'd be lying if I didn't say that made me feel wonderful.

What's even more amazing - I got another call this morning from a lady I play Bunco with wondering the same thing... she'll be joining me at the gym tomorrow.

So.. lesson learned... don't worry about what people are thinking about your journey, you may just be surprised at how inspired and awe struck they are. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Love this!!! I have been told that I've inspired friends and family as well.. and I'm so proud!!! Can't wait to be the healthiest "me" I can be and run circles around my kids!!! That would be awesome!

Keep up the amazing work!!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    I love this story, thank you so much for posting it here. Everyone should read this and be renewed! :bigsmile:
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 241 Member
    Very encouraging!! Thanks for posting this we never know who is watching. Good stuff!!
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    I love seeing people work out at the gym, and I have a super-big soft spot for the 'not-skinny' people I see. Why? Because I WAS/AM in the same boat! I might look smaller now, but *believe me* I've been there 83 lbs ago - and I'M PULLING FOR YOU and want you to succeed! I know how hard this is. I don't judge peoply by their appearance, and I hope they don't judge me either (since I've lost a lot now).
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I always figure if anyone is laughing at me for how I look, my style of working out, because they don't like the color shirt I'm wearing, whatever the reason... screw them. They are obviously not there for the right reasons if they have time to do that. When I'm at the gym (which I pay good money for) I focus on what I need to do for me.
  • jenjen20
    jenjen20 Posts: 12 Member
    This is great :).everyone is inspirational
    As they are doing it!!my friend inspired me to get in shape.I hope I inspire someone else.it takes determination and I only had 11lbs to loose.good going everybody!!!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Someone commented on my Week 7 day 1 (25 minute run) status update just to say a simple 'well done' they have no idea how much that made me smile.

I've also got a friend using c25k after seeing my status update on twitter - it's such a good feeling!

Also I saw a 'tough guy' from my university course at the gym one time. I felt all like 'yeah look at me - I'm in a gym. Didn't expect that did you?' I am not the type of girl you would expect to be at the gym - I dont know what that 'type' is or even if one exists but I don't fall into that category. People will still scoff at me when I tell them I'm gonna run a marathon because they don't EXPECT me to be able to.
This discussion has been closed.