some things just shouldn't be glorified....or rewarded...

Options

Replies

• live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It's not just HS anymore folks. Middle school girls are preggo. :/

ugh! i know.
    My daughters last middle school 3 girls preggo...talking age 12 here. The teachers were rubbing their bellys "awww when are you due" My daughter came home disgusted. I felt really bad for my kid. She was really trying to understand how adults could condone this kind of behavior. :/

She was also pissed off that they didnt have to wear the "required school uniform". She and I for that matter did not understand why special treatment were given to these girls concerning outfits. Maternity clothes are out there and if they seriously cant afford new pants for pregnancy they gotta hella shock coming to them on how much children cost.
  • ellisor1230
    Options
    I was a teenage mom and watch those shows because they do show the pain, stigmas, immature emotions, attempts to make that decision into the best future they can, and fear that getting pregnant at a young age can bring. I see nothing glorified about it other than they are on TV, but that would be like saying they glorify hoarders or obese people. I was fortunate to defy most of the teen-mom stereotypes, finished high school, college, and got a great job and have done a good job of raising my son. But I appreciate that there is a show that shows the difficulties behind those teenage actions.

AGREED! You said it so much better than I did!
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It's not just HS anymore folks. Middle school girls are preggo. :/

ugh! i know.
    My daughters last middle school 3 girls preggo...talking age 12 here. The teachers were rubbing their bellys "awww when are you due" My daughter came home disgusted. I felt really bad for my kid. She was really trying to understand how adults could condone this kind of behavior. :/

She was also pissed off that they didnt have to wear the "required school uniform". She and I for that matter did not understand why special treatment were given to these girls concerning outfits. Maternity clothes are out there and if they seriously cant afford new pants for pregnancy they gotta hella shock coming to them on how much children cost.

you have GOT to be kidding me??!? i'm not old-fashioned by any stretch of the imagination, but that's just crazy. i'm not saying those girls need to wear a scarlet letter, but the teachers need to handle it a little differently.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    you know what i want? i want to see a reality show about a young married couple trying to make it in the real world, living below the poverty line, using cloth diapers cuz they can't afford disposables - and hand-washing the laundry because they can't spare the quarters for the laundromat. i want to see a reality tv show about people who actually do things the way they SHOULD be done (as in legally and legitimately and with little or no help from the fam), and still struggle. i want to see people's reactions when they get a call from the manager "oh, it was a GREAT interview, but we have to go with someone who has a bit more experience. i'm sorry". i want a close-up shot of the poor stay at home mom wiping the tears from her face as she goes into her certification appointment, humiliated by the fact that she has to go and get food stamps behind her husband's back because he's working his way through school and supporting her and their child and he can't make enough money to pay the bills, buy his books, AND keep food on the table.

i KNOW the troubles that come with teen pregnancy. that's why i didn't get pregnant til after i was married. but why isn't there a show out there about people like ME?

and by, the way, i don't even have cable (we can't afford it) and i STILL know which shows the OP is talking about. this crap DOES get shoved down our throats. you can't turn off a magazine cover, now, can you?
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it is being shoved down our throats. I don't even have a TV yet I still know about these shows.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I think it is being shoved down our throats. I don't even have a TV yet I still know about these shows.

I guess you could say that about anything that's on a magazine cover or on the internet. It's weather you choose to care or not. Sure I see the tabloids with celebrity gossip, but do I care? No. Therefore I don't feel like anything is being forced upon me. :)
  • Soupskin
    Options

I guess you could say that about anything that's on a magazine cover or on the internet. It's weather you choose to care or not. Sure I see the tabloids with celebrity gossip, but do I care? No. Therefore I don't feel like anything is being forced upon me. :)

It's not me that I care about as much as my children. We choose not to have a television to keep that garbage away from them but it's everywhere now. As a parent it pisses me off that the decision to keep this away from them is being taken away from me.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. While in many cases, the girls are def unprepared.. in many cases, they're not. One of my closest friends had a baby at a young age. She's a BEAUTIFUL girl, and could've had anything/anyone she wanted. She managed to stay with the baby's father, complete university (and get a 4-year DEGREE no less), rent a house, etc etc. The whole family eats clean, lives healthy, and the baby has nothing but the best they can afford to give her. My friend has given up everything and doesn't mind. There's not a day she wishes she'd not had her daughter. Some people are simply ready for a baby at a younger age than others are. :smile:

However, I do cringe when I hear of ladies having 2-3 children by the time they're 21, but I'm not one to judge. (I have no children, for the record)
  • ellisor1230
    Options
    I'm not sure. While in many cases, the girls are def unprepared.. in many cases, they're not. One of my closest friends had a baby at a young age. She's a BEAUTIFUL girl, and could've had anything/anyone she wanted. She managed to stay with the baby's father, complete university (and get a 4-year DEGREE no less), rent a house, etc etc. The whole family eats clean, lives healthy, and the baby has nothing but the best they can afford to give her. My friend has given up everything and doesn't mind. There's not a day she wishes she'd not had her daughter. Some people are simply ready for a baby at a younger age than others are. :smile:

However, I do cringe when I hear of ladies having 2-3 children by the time they're 21, but I'm not one to judge. (I have no children, for the record)

HA! I had 3 children at 19! (The oldest is my stepdaughter, but we had full custody when my youngest was born.) Not to mention that my stepdaughter's mother disappeared around that time as well, so I never got weekend 'breaks'. It's been a struggle some days, but I have 3 beautiful children that I would die for. We've never been on GA and we're not rich, but we've made it work. We have happy, healthy, polite children....and that is all that matters, not when I had them!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    i know the sad reality is that teen pregnancy is running rampant in the world today, but do they *really* need to glorify it by producing more tv shows?? ok, so i'm being a bit of hypocrite as well as an enabler since all of those reality shows are my guilty pleasure, but i like to think i'm intelligent enough to see how ruined these girls' lives are. yes, babies are a blessing and yes, babies are miracles, but let's not sugar-coat this. life as these girls know it will be no longer. it's painfully evident on these shows that lives filled with the mall and going out and dances and school and parties have been replaced with sleepless nights, diapers, making bottles and struggles to graduate. yet teen girls *still* don't practice safe sex. and worse & more stupidly, some get pregnant on purpose to "keep a boyfriend" or "have someone to love". i'll still never get that one. but again, i don't walk in anyone's shoes. however, i *do* know between right & wrong and there is nothing "right" about bringing a baby into this world for selfish reasons.

additionally, there are mature, adult, financially-stable women out there who struggle to get pregnant on a daily basis. i'm fairly certain they're not thrilled to have these girls shoved down their throats every day on tv, magazines & tabloids.

this is MY OPINION. i'm trying not to judge, but rather to make statements based on the information i'm given. we don't know what happens behind closed doors, but from what i can assess, these girls need more parental involvement and to be educated on safe sex. i'm not stupid - i have teenaged kids and i'm pretty sure they're not saints. but i made sure to sit them down and talk to them with the cold, hard facts. i'm not a proponent of teen sex, but i'm an advocate on educating our children on their options if they choose to go that route.

your views??

I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard reports that the majority of polled teenagers who have watched Teen Mom have made efforts to NOT get pregnant over-all. Such as have dicsussions about sex with their parents, practise safe sex, or get on birth control ect. They even showed more tendancies and personal commitments to practise abstinence. It seems like Teen Mom as a whole shows struggeling teens, which demonstrates to viewers that it's not fun or easy to have a baby when you are not ready. I agree that the hollywood aspects of treating the girls on the show as if they are celeberties for the choices they made would send a bad message to some. But most of what you see is the negative results of bad decision making.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I absolutely agree 100%. I don't think they should air this type of programming on television. With that being said I was pregnant at 16 and my beautiful daughter was born 12 days before I turned 17. She changed my life in many positive ways but I also "lost" my youth. I knew my Mom couldn't afford another mouth to feed so I quit school and got my GED and a job. I wish I had waited but she forced me to grow up and make the choices and sacrifices necessary to allow her to have the life she has now. I am successful in my banking career and have a great family. I pray that the girls on these shows can do the same.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Mabey people need to stop protesting when schools want to teach sex ed,seriously they were going to have a sex ed class at my sons school and the holy rollers got BENT out of shape about it, so no sex ed class.

Not to say I havent talked to him myself,but all they will teach in the school now is abstinence
  • Soupskin
    Options
    Mabey people need to stop protesting when schools want to teach sex ed,seriously they were going to have a sex ed class at my sons school and the holy rollers got BENT out of shape about it, so no sex ed class.

Not to say I havent talked to him myself,but all they will teach in the school now is abstinence

There is a county in Alabama whose policy is to teach abstinence only.

Their teen STD and pregnancy rates are off the chart.

Your son is lucky because he has you. What about the children who are not so lucky to have parents that are so involved? Those are the ones that need these programs the most. They are also the ones that will be more susceptible to peer pressure.

In short: I agree 100%!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Be thankful we don't live in England. My mom did for many years. She had a Sunday School student, 17, who got pregnant. Over there, if you're a single mom, you get an apartment and a monthly stipend from the gov't. It's not a fancy place, but it's still rent free. She lived there. But guess what? Her baby lived back at home with Grandma. So the tax payers were forking over this money for her to live when she wasn't even living with her baby at the apartment.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree 100%. I don't think they should air this type of programming on television. With that being said I was pregnant at 16 and my beautiful daughter was born 12 days before I turned 17. She changed my life in many positive ways but I also "lost" my youth. I knew my Mom couldn't afford another mouth to feed so I quit school and got my GED and a job. I wish I had waited but she forced me to grow up and make the choices and sacrifices necessary to allow her to have the life she has now. I am successful in my banking career and have a great family. I pray that the girls on these shows can do the same.

so glad for your "happy ending"! it's nice to hear of the good outcomes. it's sad that they don't all turn out that way, though:(
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    What gets me about the teen mom show is for 2 seasons that Amber chick basicly neglected her daughter and abused her boyfriend before anyone did anything
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

There is a county in Alabama whose policy is to teach abstinence only.

Their teen STD and pregnancy rates are off the chart.

Your son is lucky because he has you. What about the children who are not so lucky to have parents that are so involved? Those are the ones that need these programs the most. They are also the ones that will be more susceptible to peer pressure.

In short: I agree 100%!

My poor son I actually showed him how to put a condom on a bannana,I just wish his school would teach some because i think he would take more in if he wasnt so EMBARRESED to be hearing about it from me an his step dad lol
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    How do you guys feel about the shows about people with 10+ kids... or even 19+ kids?!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    How do you guys feel about the shows about people with 10+ kids... or even 19+ kids?!

If they can afford all them kids without welfare or something the taxpayers have to pay for then more power to them.
    except that kate plus 8 chick i cant STAND her lol