Holiday Thoughts...

Options
kelika71
kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
Most of you will disagree with me and that's fine, as these are MY OPINIONS.

A friend of mine posted thoughts of worrying about the upcoming holiday being a disaster. I totally get this person's thoughts. However, I posted to this person to enjoy and not fret about it. (I can hear some of you gasping!)

Relax! People, I've been at this for over a year and I've had much success, even with "cheat days" (free days, whatever you wish to call it). The point of my post wasn't to tell this person to cheat. You see, I have lost both of my parents and holidays aren't the same anymore. In fact, I probably won't even be celebrating Easter, as I have no kids, hub has to work and parents aren't here anymore.

Moral here is, enjoy!! It is one day and time with family is precious. Make conscious choices but don't fret if you splurge on something. We didn't get in the shape we're in by losing control for one day. Tell yourselves that come Monday, it's back to work and no excuses. For God's sake, enjoy the time with your family and don't fret too much about the choices. Family is, by far, more important...you don't truly realize that until it's too late.

God bless y'all and have a Happy & Safe Easter Holiday!!

Replies

• nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you this has to be a lifestyle change. In real life you aren't always perfect. I have really changed my attitude towards losing weight......I used to be "on and off" a program. Failing or thriving. It was all about being perfect or not doing it at all. I realize that attitude never served me well. You come from a very sound perspective to give this advice. I think you are less likely to go overboard and throw the towel in if you cut yourself a little slack.

Congratulations on the fabulous weight loss. I am going to check out your diary.
  • ducksinarow
    Options
    I understand your point...my dad is not in good health and when we get together for a special occassion, it is hard enough to get all of my siblings together, let alone plan a menu that everyone likes AND is healthy/low cal/low fat, etc. I want to look back on holidays and remember the fun we had--not that I didn't enjoy myself because I was trying to lose weight! I would rather eat a little of things I like for that one meal and just watch what I eat the other meals of that day (and maybe the day before/after) a little closer. Unfortunately, some people feel that they have already blown their weight loss efforts for that day and go ahead and splurge the rest of the day (and maybe the next!)...that is what causes people to have problems with sticking to their weight loss efforts. But that being said, you can also try to focus on the socializing and conversations and less on the food...or if you are like me, I usually do the cooking so by the time we are ready to eat, I don't feel like eating! I also try to make healthy substitutes in the recipes without anyone knowing (but me!)!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I understand your point...my dad is not in good health and when we get together for a special occassion, it is hard enough to get all of my siblings together, let alone plan a menu that everyone likes AND is healthy/low cal/low fat, etc. I want to look back on holidays and remember the fun we had--not that I didn't enjoy myself because I was trying to lose weight! I would rather eat a little of things I like for that one meal and just watch what I eat the other meals of that day (and maybe the day before/after) a little closer. Unfortunately, some people feel that they have already blown their weight loss efforts for that day and go ahead and splurge the rest of the day (and maybe the next!)...that is what causes people to have problems with sticking to their weight loss efforts. But that being said, you can also try to focus on the socializing and conversations and less on the food...or if you are like me, I usually do the cooking so by the time we are ready to eat, I don't feel like eating! I also try to make healthy substitutes in the recipes without anyone knowing (but me!)!

I'm sorry about your dad. Hope things get better.

You nailed it...it's the time and fun you had that matters. One day is not going to blow things that much. If you can still enjoy and eat less, fine. If not, eat and enjoy. Time is limited.

To everyone else...don't believe me on splurging and enjoying a day, take a look at my diary for Saturday (4-16-11). That's my cheat day. I fully enjoyed it!! It's not the same every Saturday, but I cheat every Saturday. So, one holiday isn't going to wreck stuff. Enjoy your families and holiday!! :)
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    I definitely agree. Also too much stress and worrying can inhibit weight loss efforts also.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I Love this!

This is a lifestyle change and holidays and family dinners are part of our lifestyles! One day isn't going to make you gain weight!
    It's good practice for making the best choices available and not obsessing over food when you should be enjoying family!

That's not to say pig out on a million easter eggs, but a couple won't hurt nor will having a nice dinner.