Fiber

Options
I know what eating a lot of fiber will do to my insides, but is it bad health wise to eat too much fiber? I still have almost 600 calories to eat today and I'm already 4 grams over on fiber. How that happened, I don't really know I didn't think that what I ate today had much fiber, but apparently it all added up.

Replies

• dilansmom
    dilansmom Posts: 14
    Options
    I doubt that you can eat too much. I'm no expert, but logically, Fiber makes you feel full, but you don't digest it. I imagine that you could eat too much fiber if that's ALL you ate that day, and nothing else nutritious, but if you've got a healthy, balanced diet, power to you! Fiber it up!! Your bum will thank you.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    MFP has the fiber goal set way too low. Women should be aiming for at least 25 grams a day and men should be aiming for at least 30. So no worries!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    is the fiber count the one set by MFP? because that one's awfully low, compared to other recommendations i've seen. certainly i'd run into problems if i stopped at 15 g a day...:noway:
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    No, you can't, but make sure you're drinking a lot of water as well. Otherwise the fiber bulks together in your stomach and give you bloating... not fun.
    I am almost always over mine too. I used to barely get half of the recommended amount before i started here that is :-)
  • Heifort1
    Heifort1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS over on my fiber and agree that MFP has it set too low. By the time you eat a few servings of healthy vegetables, a few whole grains and maybe a protien bar...POOF! You're over. Drink plenty of water and as long as your balancing other nutrition with it, I think you're A-okay!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    is the fiber count the one set by MFP? because that one's awfully low, compared to other recommendations i've seen. certainly i'd run into problems if i stopped at 15 g a day...:noway:

It goes up when you exercise. I have mine set to 25 and when i exercise it can go up to 35
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll make sure to drink plenty of water. I did notice that I exercised more than normal today and my fiber is 5 g higher than normal and I still went over. It was those Fiber One bars I ate, I guess. :)