Tamale Pie

Options
This is yummy, and my husband can't get enough of it.

Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
2 tsp canola oil
1 medium onion
1 large green pepper
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 tbsp chili powder
1 16-ounce can corn
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 4-ounce can green chilies
1 4-ounce can sliced olives

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1 quart fat-free milk
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sauté onion, and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat, crumble beef and cook until no longer pink. Add chili powder, corn, tomatoes, chilies and olives. Simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to an 11 by 7 baking dish.

Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, salt and milk in a 2 quart saucepan. Heat on medium and until thickened, stirring almost continuously. Spread cornmeal over top of meat and vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden.

Serves 8

Per Serving: Calories 369, Calories from Fat 75, Total Fat 8.3g (sat 2.9g), Cholesterol 42mg, Sodium 664mg, Carbohydrate 49.5g, Fiber 6.8g, Protein 23.9g

Replies

• stephi92569
    Options
    This is yummy, and my husband can't get enough of it.

Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Ingredients:
    2 tsp canola oil
    1 medium onion
    1 large green pepper
    1 pound extra-lean ground beef
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 16-ounce can corn
    1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
    1 4-ounce can green chilies
    1 4-ounce can sliced olives

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
    1 tsp salt
    1 quart fat-free milk
    1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Sauté onion, and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat, crumble beef and cook until no longer pink. Add chili powder, corn, tomatoes, chilies and olives. Simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to an 11 by 7 baking dish.

Meanwhile, combine cornmeal, salt and milk in a 2 quart saucepan. Heat on medium and until thickened, stirring almost continuously. Spread cornmeal over top of meat and vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden.

Serves 8

Per Serving: Calories 369, Calories from Fat 75, Total Fat 8.3g (sat 2.9g), Cholesterol 42mg, Sodium 664mg, Carbohydrate 49.5g, Fiber 6.8g, Protein 23.9g
  • shortstack
    Options
    That sounds yummy! I will have to make that soon. :bigsmile:
  • krisp
    krisp Posts: 3
    Options
    I was looking for something to eat tonight. I'm making it now. Thanks.
  • stephi92569
    Options
    You're welcome. The original recipe called for jalapenos, but it just made it to warm for my liking, so I subbed it with the geen chilies.

Enjoy