Tanning (lotion suggestions & stretch marks/scars!)

Options
believetoachieve
believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
I just want to preface this by saying... "I KNOW I will get skin cancer and likely die a young age". At least that's what everyone tells me, constantly. So please, don't do it, lol. I know. :laugh: (though you're wrong! I live in Canada [very little sun]. I work in an office [no sun!]. I tan once a week for 12 minutes [that's less exposure than most people get on a regular sunny day], in a salon that uses minimized rays. Anyhow, I digress....)

For those who tan, what tanning lotions do you use?? I'm a big fan of ProTan products, and Australian Gold, but my bottle is running out and I'm ready for new suggestions! I dislike tingles though, but a regular accelerator/bronzer would be fabulous! Also, do you know where I can buy them online? My tanning salon is so expensive :indifferent:

And lastly, any experience covering stretch marks/scars with self tanner? I know they will never tan normally (according to my surgeon), but I'm wondering if I can possibly blend them a little with a fake tanner. They're old, so they're in the white/neon stage, hmph! The more tan I get, the more they become noticeable!! :ohwell:

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Also living in Canada, I feel your pain!

I use the Ed Hardy (I know it's lame but it's SUCH good lotion!) Koi Fish lotion. It is AMAZING.... you don't need very much! Best part about it is that it is a silocoone based lotion so it doesn't leave you with that weird burned smell that sometimes happens with some lotions. I got it because it's super moisturizing and is a firming tanning lotion too - which makes my bum look EXTRA fab! ;) There is NO bronzer in the Koi fish, but the dragon one (I think it's called diving or driving the dragon) does if that is somethign you want... OH and the best part... the lotions all smell AMAZING!!! like a vacation! ...

i would caution ordering tanning lotions online... I have tried it MANY times and have never been happy. I don't know if it's the shipping or what, but they are never as good as ones (the SAME lotion) in the salon... I have a friend who worked in a tanning salon years ago who told me about the most horrific stories of girls who did buy them on-line and they ended up being cut with plain old lotions, selling expired lotion (apparently they do go bad... who knew), and other bad news stuff... now this was like 5-6 years ago, so I don'tknow if things are any better now in terms of qulatity control but I know from my experience, I'd rather pay the extra 15-20 bucks and know what I am getting. Oh ya if you do order them online, watch out for where they are shipping from and cost of shipping... I bought a bottle 2 years ago that ended up costing me $50 MORE then i would have paid at the salon cause of shipping and duty :( BOOOOOO

I would also suggest getting an after tan mosturizer... I usemine as a regular moisturizer and it is a MUCH better product then what i normally use. I know at my salon, if i buy the tanning lotion i get the moisturizer for half price which makes it the same as buying one at the drug store. Personally, I like the Forever After lotion (smells like vanilla) but that might just be me.

Also, I have used the Hempz lotion in the past and it is AMAZING!!! both their tanning and moisturizers ROCK... but they can be a tad on the expensive side and I seem to use more of it then the Ed Hardy... so who knows.

good luck!!
  • punkrawkcutie
    Options
    OH and the self tanner thing... I like the l'Oreal spray stuff... the fine mist gives good coverage...

you might want to try a tanning lotion with a bronzer tho, they basically do the same thing as a self tanner but you can do it all at once and maintain a more consistant colouring.
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sherryahall
    Sherryahall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I live in Washington, hear the same crap about how the tanning bed will kill me, but so will the fact it's still snowing in April, so if they are right great they win, but at least I'll look fabulous as a corpse ...yeah rant mode off...

I buy my lotions at beauty supply stores, same products that are sold at the salon but find they are $30ish cheaper.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Seriously, this is what I use.
    No joke.
    Works AMAZING.
    And mine came with free eye goggles.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/European-Gold-Sweet-Brown-Dark-Tanning-Lotion-13.5-Oz/10322239
  • punkrawkcutie
    Options
    Seriously, this is what I use.
    No joke.
    Works AMAZING.
    And mine came with free eye goggles.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/European-Gold-Sweet-Brown-Dark-Tanning-Lotion-13.5-Oz/10322239

:( Not available in Canada...
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Bump bump bump!! :drinker:
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options
    I use Designer Skin lotions containing silicone.. My favorite is Black 20x. The silicone in them has actually helped with firming (or so it seems lol).

Still haven't found anything that helps with stretch marks, ugh!!