Such A Pretty Fat

Options
Has anyone out there read this book by Jen Lancaster?? It's the third book she has written, and it's hilarious. Here is the blurb on the back of the book:

"To whom the fat rolls...I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possible be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a healthy dose of positive self-esteem. It's a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die! Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a food to adult-onset diabetes?"

It's a really funny, uplifting book, and it's very different from the motivational books that we are all used to. If you are a girl that has a sense of humor (and doesn't mind occasional swearing and in-your-face antics), you will love this book! :happy:

Let me know if you have or will read it...I'm almost done with it, and I have loved and identified with almost every word! :smile:

Replies

• SarahN83
    SarahN83 Posts: 18
    Options
    Has anyone out there read this book by Jen Lancaster?? It's the third book she has written, and it's hilarious. Here is the blurb on the back of the book:

"To whom the fat rolls...I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possible be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a healthy dose of positive self-esteem. It's a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die! Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a food to adult-onset diabetes?"

It's a really funny, uplifting book, and it's very different from the motivational books that we are all used to. If you are a girl that has a sense of humor (and doesn't mind occasional swearing and in-your-face antics), you will love this book! :happy:

Let me know if you have or will read it...I'm almost done with it, and I have loved and identified with almost every word! :smile:
  • pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    I saw that book at barnes and noble and almost bought it. Now I may have to go back and get it!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good one...here's another

Bet Me by Jennifer Cruise....here's the Amazon review, doesn't really portray just how very funny the book is....I loved it!

Setting: small city in Ohio

Thirty-three-year-old Minerva Dobbs is annoyed when her current boyfriend dumps her three weeks before her sisters' wedding. But she's downright furious a few moments later when she overhears her now "ex" boyfriend bet hunky Calvin Morrisey that he can't take her home and bed her. In fact, she's so angry at them both that she lets Cal take her to dinner and decides to string him along until after her sisters' wedding. Minerva pegs Cal as a handsome "used car salesman of seducers." Cal thinks Minerva is a "cranky, starving, risk-averse statistician." But Minerva's hormones keep whispering "this one," although she knows the gorgeous Cal isn't the man for her practical, white-cotton-bra, several-pounds-over-thin, self. And Cal is blindsided by the lust he feels for the voluptuous, sensual woman he glimpses behind Min's actuary exterior. While Cal and Min struggle to deal with their mutual distrust and attraction, their friends and families try their best to interfere and direct the progression of the unlikely romantic connection.

More from me....
    Personally I loved the sex scene involving a chocolate donut....Let's hear it for voluptuous, sexy women, who enjoy life!

I want to be healthy, yes, but keep my curves and softness, my ultimate goal is to be near the low end of the overweight BMI. I know what I look like in the "healthy" range and it isn't all that attractive on me.
    Ez
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I just got my copy in the mail today :) I'm excited to read it, sounds like a good one :)
  • chubbymexicanswife
    Options
    I just finished the first one and am starting the second one. My husband thought I was nuts because I was cracking up out loud through the whole book. I can't wait to start the second one!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Just ordered Such a Pretty Fat, sounds like a fun romp.....should be here Thursday. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Ez :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I should have bought that one instead of skinny b.... I am not loving it because its making me feel like I'm doing it all wrong...and hey! I don't need to have someone else make me feel like that I do a darn good job puttin' myself down!:angry: ......:ohwell:

oh well....I'll get that next!
    hugs!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    oOo I started reading it and love it so far! Funny, funny...kinda makes me hungry though...lol
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get this one too.

I just finished reading "My best friend's girl" and I enjoyed it. It's written by Dorothy Koomson and it is a tear jerker.

M.
  • sdjurek
    sdjurek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of these but I'll surely look into them. Nothing inspires more than literature.
    Just a reminder to use your local library. Those books are free, you know.