Need protein ideas

Options
cjwolfjen
cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
I need lots of ideas for protein foods. I'm still not used to eating less so I'm left feeling hungry a couple hours after a meal. Which leads me to eat a large snack. I'm doing good overall with staying under my calories but I'd love to have the "full" feeling from protein.

Replies

• kenuk1
    kenuk1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Prawns, Fish, Chicken, cant go wrong, top up with a couple of eggs.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i love plain natural yogurt (about 110 cals a pot) :)

i also love cottage cheese and nuts are although high in calories and fat really filling
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    Why don't you try a whole wheat wrap filled with Chicken and Egg? Nice seasoning can make that a really enjoyable Snack, full of protein!
  • AndreaArchambault
    AndreaArchambault Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love eating an english muffin and 1 Tbsp of peanut butter with half a banana sliced up on top. Not only super delicious, I find that I'm definitely full afterwards and can survive until my next meal. Eggs are other another great option. Good luck!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt with 2 tbsp of all natural peanut butter for breakfast. It ends up with like 25 grams of protein, dependig on which yogurt you get. I get chobani. its so filling!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    meat, beans, peanut butter, greek yogurt, cheese. I have a greek yogurt for my morning snack and cheese and crackers in the afternoon.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Egg Whites, Beans, Nuts and Seeds, Peanut Butter, Meats, Tofu.
  • randomtamara
    randomtamara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my favorite low-cal, high-protein foods ...
    - 0% fage yogurt
    - scrambled egg whites
    - turkey bacon
  • millygrl
    millygrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Special K now has a Protein Plus cereal which is 10g of protein for 3/4 of a cup and only 100 calories. Cottage cheese as well. Also, if you have room calorie wise throw in a protein bar.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    The best things for breakfast that keep me filled up bc of their protein content are eggs, greek yogurt, and peanut butter. Hope that helps. Chicken is, of course, loaded in protein, as well as fish for other meals. Learning about protein and how it can help lose weight has been a BIG help to me. It really does keep me fuller longer, which really really helps my eating habits.
  • BigStizaff
    Options
    I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt with 2 tbsp of all natural peanut butter for breakfast. It ends up with like 25 grams of protein, dependig on which yogurt you get. I get chobani. its so filling!

I agree!! I do the same thing however I eat the ones with fruit in the bottom. They're full of protein, very filling, and taste great!!
  • katy5692
    katy5692 Posts: 140
    Options
    turkey tikka by bernard matthews! YUMMM
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese (low fat)

Cheeses
    Nuts (watch calories on these)
    Peanut butter (more calories)
    Soy (tofu)

Excellent protein to calorie count:
    Chicken/Turkey
    Fish (talapia, salmon, etc...)
    Tuna
    Pure Protein bars (look them up before you say no! 2 grams of sugar, 19grams of protein) I enjoy them
    EDIT: Left out eggs :)
    Then:
    Lean Beef
    Pork
    Hamsteaks

Here's a jump start to web search:

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_High_Protein_Foods.shtml

Just lookup High protein foods and you'll get lots of good info.

Hope this helps,

ZH
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Make a pot of low cal (non-southern-style) chili! I say non-southern because they find it a serious food offense to put beans in it and still call it chili. At least they did in Texas. :-D
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm on my better halfs "diet", which means I'll die of protein intake soon enough :laugh: :laugh:

My good MFP friend did the Protein work for me and this is what she found....
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Ground Beef
    Roasted Chicken
    Ham
    Eggs
    Beans
    Milk
    Peanut Butter
    Oatmeal
    Bagels
    Nuts
    Lentils

Jif makes a to-go peanut butter container that I just ADORE! Its 250 calories, but its big enough to have with a portion of veggies. This has been incredibly helpful for me and keeping on track.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to mix healthy carbs like fruit and protein seems to hold me longer. Greek yogurt and blueberries or strawberries
    Peanut butter and apple, almonds and regular yogurt.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Cans of Tuna...

You should be able to build a house with the amount of cans you would have.

I'm not joking either. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Dragonbug300 just posted this. On recent posts

Some people may already know this trick, but here's what I've done:
    1 cup of your favorite smooth PB
    4 cups of Greek Yogurt
    mix together, plus 1 tbsp vanilla extract and some spice (such as cinnamon, allspice, or whatever else you feel would taste good!)

I store it in a glass bowl in the fridge and use on celery, sandwiches, or for various raw recipes calling for peanut butter.

1 cup of pb normally = 1,520 calories
    1/4 cup of pb = 380 cals

1 cup of this mixture = 510 cals
    1/4 cup of this mixture = 127 cals
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Cans of Tuna...

You should be able to build a house with the amount of cans you would have.

I'm not joking either. :)

HAHAHA I eat so much of it already I've always like it, now I know why I feel so full after I eat it. I feel like it isn't good to eat that much tuna though, like, mercury in the fish or something weird like that. Is it bad to eat a lot of tuna every single day?
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Dragonbug300 just posted this. On recent posts

Some people may already know this trick, but here's what I've done:
    1 cup of your favorite smooth PB
    4 cups of Greek Yogurt
    mix together, plus 1 tbsp vanilla extract and some spice (such as cinnamon, allspice, or whatever else you feel would taste good!)

I store it in a glass bowl in the fridge and use on celery, sandwiches, or for various raw recipes calling for peanut butter.

1 cup of pb normally = 1,520 calories
    1/4 cup of pb = 380 cals

1 cup of this mixture = 510 cals
    1/4 cup of this mixture = 127 cals

Thanks for sharing! This sounds yummy - I am going to try it this weekend!