which do you use?

SDehmer819
SDehmer819 Posts: 441 Member
edited 11:39AM in Fitness and Exercise
If you are using a pacing/distance unit, which are you using? What do you love and dislike about it? Is it accurate? Does it also show your HRM and calorie burn? Is it a GPS capable or a sensor/foot pod? I don't know how happy I am with my current unit and wanted to see how others feel about theirs.

Thanks in advance MFP'er friends!!

Replies

• Sarah101010
    Sarah101010 Posts: 235
    Hi Lady! I use the Garmin forerunner 305 and LOVE it!!! I love that it tracks everything that I want to know (overall time, pace, max hr, avg hr, distance, and even elevation). I dislike the size (it's huge and gaudy) but I got over it. Yes, it shows hr and caloric burn. One more thing I don't like though is that it won't track your calorie burn when you are inside, that's dumb. Otherwise, I LOVE it! Good luck. :)
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    I use RunKeeper on my iPhone. It uses my built in gps. I like it because it's one less thing to have with me when running. It tracks all my runs and I can edit them on their website. I also like that I can create a run with intervals too.
  • kolbyjack
    kolbyjack Posts: 71
    I have the sensor in the bottom of my nike+ shoes that correlates with my iphone. I know it is pretty accurate, because I have tested it on a track. It shows distance, calories, time, and lets you listen to music. It does not show HR.But, my HRM does not show distance. I have a heart rate monitor as well. As far as calories go, between the two devices they are usually only 10 difference between the two. I already had the shoes, so the sensor was a very cheap investment for me. (I have forgot about it twice when washing my shoes and it has never taken a poo on me yet!) Hope I helped a little bit.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I use the Garmin 310XT. I like everything about it and it tracks calories by heart rate or by pace/distance if you are not wering the heart rate strap. It can take a footpod and various accessories on a bike. The downside is that it is expensive and not worth the price unless you are doing a lot of running or biking outside.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    I have a Polar RS300x with footpod. It has some nice features, isn't too big, and is easy to use while running. Keeps track of HR, distance, pace, lap time and zone. Will show calories burned after workout, not during. This HRM, unlike some of the lower priced ones, allows you to input your VO2max if you know it, or has a built in test to fairly accurately estimate your VO2max if you do not know it. As such, it is more accurate at estimating calories burned. This HRM is also available with a GPS pod instead of the footpod. I picked up an 'open box' unit on auction for $125.

My only concern is with accuracy of the distance, and that is only because it does not match what the treadmill tells me. That being said, I have read that the treadmills can be inaccurate on distance--something I had no idea about--fixed length belt should make it very accurate. I plan to do an outdoor run in the coming days to a known distance, and I'll also use RunKeeper with the GPS feature to see how accurate my HRM and Runkeeper are.
  • SDehmer819
    SDehmer819 Posts: 441 Member
    Wow! great info everyone!!! Somethings to really think about and consider, I guess. I am sure everyone's preference is different but I love reading reviews about things that I may consider buying...especially bigger ticketed items. And a good HRM/GPS is one of those very things.

Moosewizard...I did not know that about treadmills....I guess I took it for granted that they were always accurate. Thanks for that bit of knowledge.
This discussion has been closed.