Barefoot running

Options
Anyone here do any barefoot or minimalist shoe running? I've been running for a few months and generally do about 15-20 miles a week. I've been seeing quite a bit of buzz about bare foot running and the benefits of it. I was just curious if anyone here has tried it.

Replies

• brazilian27
    Options
    I just bought mine yesterday...I havent used yet...so far when I tried it feels like walking in heaven...hope it keeps like that. :)
  • crystal10584
    Options
    my feet are too sensitive. I have issues walking on the pebble walkways barefoot at my boyfriend's house next to the pool. :(
  • armywife1986
    Options
    I haven't done it, but I have been interested in the Vibram Five Finger shoes after reading and watching youtube reviews. I'm not a runner, but I like the idea of wearing them anyway. I have a lot of pain in my feet because I often wear "ballet flats" that offer absolutely ZERO support. If I was a runner, I'd definitely buy them in a second.
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I haven't, but I have seen people running in Vibram Five Fingers shoes for that effect.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I run completely barefoot and walk everywhere in Vibram FiveFinger Classics. I love it. It does take some time to get used to and you do have to build it up slowly to prevent injury. I did overtrain for a 1/2 marathon so I have been out of running right now until I can get better. But I find it so freeing.

There are a lot of resources out there about how to do it correctly. The one I used mostly is Barefoot Running by Michael Sandler. (www.runbare.com)

Have fun.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    I do! I do!

Watch for bees and poopy....
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I do! I do!

Watch for bees and poopy....
    And cactus.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • HappyFeat
    HappyFeat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I run in vibrams and really do enjoy them. However be very very careful, they are so fun to run in and it's hard to ease into them. I had pretty bad metatarsal pain after trying to do some interval workouts after just three weeks having them. Take it slow :)
  • dominicsmith412
    Options
    I've been running with my Vibram Five Fingers and Zem Gear shoes for almost a year now and it feels great. I've never had an injury or been hurt ever since. It feels weird because when I used to wear traditional shoes, sometimes my feet hurt and now with these barefoot running shoes, it works wonders. What I love about this new trend is that it makes our feet healthier by running more naturally and freely.

You might be interested to read on this - The real deal: Barefoot running shoes versus Traditional shoes - http://bit.ly/aQtX3p

Hope this helps.