weight loss confusion, pls help

Options
Hi,

I am confused about how I am going to lose 2 pounds per week. Something is wrong in my thinking so please tell me where that is ;)

My BMR is 1592. My caloric goal is 1200 for MFP. I want to lose 2 pounds a week.
So, if I reduce my calories to 1200, that creates a deficit of only 392. So that means 2800 cals per week. So the remaining 4200 cals has to come from exercise??? OMG that's like 600 calories that I'll have to burn everyday?

Please someone save me from my what has to be an big fat misunderstanding somewhere. :) I'd appreciate it.

Replies

• aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am confused about how I am going to lose 2 pounds per week. Something is wrong in my thinking so please tell me where that is ;)

My BMR is 1592. My caloric goal is 1200 for MFP. I want to lose 2 pounds a week.
    So, if I reduce my calories to 1200, that creates a deficit of only 392. So that means 2800 cals per week. So the remaining 4200 cals has to come from exercise??? OMG that's like 600 calories that I'll have to burn everyday?

Please someone save me from my what has to be an big fat misunderstanding somewhere. :) I'd appreciate it.
  • ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the calories that your body would burn in a 24 hour period if all that you did was lay in bed and sleep.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    with 32 lbs to lose, I doubt you will be able to sustain 2 lbs a week, that's a very aggressive weight loss plan for someone with under 50 lbs to lose. I would probably opt for something a little less hard core. It will be easier to commit to, easier to sustain, and easier to plan for in the long run.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,987 Member
    Options
    with 32 lbs to lose, I doubt you will be able to sustain 2 lbs a week, that's a very aggressive weight loss plan for someone with under 50 lbs to lose. I would probably opt for something a little less hard core. It will be easier to commit to, easier to sustain, and easier to plan for in the long run.

Baaannnkkks! Hi.

Cheryl
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Less than 1200 cals would put your body into starvation mode. I think by default MFP won't advise less than this?
  • banks1850
    Options

Baaannnkkks! Hi.

Cheryl

Well Hello there Mrs. C! How goes the battle?
  • aisha786
    aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh I think I've got it! I think you're right. In doing the math, I think 2 pounds a week is hard to do every week until every last pound. What I figured is by January though I would have the weight off if I was able to. I just don't think I can go that hard for that long.

What would you all recommend for calories per day for me to burn?
  • banks1850
    Options
    aisha,
    that will require all your numbers. I.E. your height, weight, and your activity level (how active you are every day, not including any exercise you count on here)
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Baaannnkkks! Hi.

Cheryl
    Cheeeeeeeryyyl Hi.