Stevia? Do or Don't

Options
2»

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    from the link I posted on the Truvia / Purevia thing they mention Splenda so

Splenda claims to be made from sugar. It did start out as a sugar molecule, and then in a five step process three chlorine molecules were added. The end result not being anything remotely close to sugar.

As for the other question - natural stuff doesn't have a particular way for a company to make money off it, but if they can take whole wheat, remove the good stuff that occurs naturally and add vitamins to enrich it now they've got a value added product that makes them more money, if they can process it they can "Add value" while paying next to nothing to the farmer.

Look at beef, I can't get store-bought beef for much less than $5/lb depending on the cut but the family who bred the animals to provide it, lodged them, pastured them (or foodlotted) sure doesn't get $4/lb for his raw product, everyone along the line adds value in theory to the product. Blech.
  • Michelemybelle
    Michelemybelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Truvia and Stevia are the same, it's just the "name brand". It's the only method of sweetener accepted on the Eat Clean diet and other Clean Eating Menus.

Thanks, good to know. I'm trying to eat clean, and was wondering about Stevia. I got the Stevia in the raw - it just sounds more natural. :)