I just read this. Very good info!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Excellent article!
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love reading stuff like this! Thanks!!
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good read - thx
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    BUMP
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Great read! Soooo many myths out there. Education is key :happy:
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Great article (love the humor!) and so true. I spent the last couple of years biking as my new BF was into it and it was something we could do together. I stopped lifting weights but I was doing these really long rides (50-75 miles) and training for big climbs and felt I was staying in good condition. But suddenly the weight kept piling on and I couldn't figure out why. The gym at work offered up a RMR test (Resting Metobolic Rate) and suddenly all was revealed. My RMR had dropped from 1700 measured 5 years ago to below 1300. What this meant was that if I changed nothing in my eating or working out habits, I would gain 35 lbs in a year and that is what I was doing!!

While age could be blamed for part of it, the biggest factor was the loss of muscle mass. Even though I worked out each day for at least an hour, and went on long bike rides, I lost my muscle mass and the numbers started working against me.

Fortunately, I found P90X and I'm heading back in the right direction, slowly but surely!
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Great article (love the humor!) and so true. I spent the last couple of years biking as my new BF was into it and it was something we could do together. I stopped lifting weights but I was doing these really long rides (50-75 miles) and training for big climbs and felt I was staying in good condition. But suddenly the weight kept piling on and I couldn't figure out why. The gym at work offered up a RMR test (Resting Metobolic Rate) and suddenly all was revealed. My RMR had dropped from 1700 measured 5 years ago to below 1300. What this meant was that if I changed nothing in my eating or working out habits, I would gain 35 lbs in a year and that is what I was doing!!

While age could be blamed for part of it, the biggest factor was the loss of muscle mass. Even though I worked out each day for at least an hour, and went on long bike rides, I lost my muscle mass and the numbers started working against me.

Fortunately, I found P90X and I'm heading back in the right direction, slowly but surely!

Goodness that's kind of scary! But it's nice to see real numbers and know why exactly we're doing what we're doing right?!