Alternative to Potaotes?

Options
Aloha all,

I was wondering if anyone knows a healthier alternative to potatoes or rice?? I grew up with so much startch and carbs! I need help!

Replies

• elementzdesigns
    Options
    Aloha all,

I was wondering if anyone knows a healthier alternative to potatoes or rice?? I grew up with so much startch and carbs! I need help!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Try substituting brown rice for white rice and sweet potatoes for white potatoes... you can also put in two veggies instead of the typical one.. like green beans, salad, and a lean meat.
  • Jendaya35
    Jendaya35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Squash.....Butternut, spaghetti, you name it!!!! The butternut squash you can bake and make awsome fries.....google some squash recipes, you will be surprised at what you find! Hope that helps.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    For mashed, mashed cauliflower is good, with a little garlic powder and some fat free 1/2 and 1/2 or reduced fat sour cream, it's delicious!

For baked, sweet potato is a very good option. chock full of vitamins and low on carbs.

for FF, do the same thing but with a sweet potato instead of regular.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    never had mashed cauliflower -- gonna have to try this some time.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

it's Deeeeeelicious, just note that if you use too much liquid, it get's soupy. So make sure you drain it VERY well before you mash it, and only use a very little half n half.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try celery root also know as celeriac. Also like cauliflower, drain well.
  • elementzdesigns
    Options
    wow, mashed cauliflower? Squash? thanks for all of the great suggestions!
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Just remember that if some veggies give you a gassy belly to maybe eat a little. I tried this a couple times and got bad belly aches from it.
  • tyeshaljohnson
    Options
    PC (PORTION CONTROL) I love mashed potatoes, so I eat them taking small bites.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Squash.....Butternut, spaghetti, you name it!!!! The butternut squash you can bake and make awsome fries.....google some squash recipes, you will be surprised at what you find! Hope that helps.

I love squash, too. Bake spaghetti squash in the oven and then rake a fork to create the "noodles". A very yummy and nutritional substitute for traditional.

Try sweet potato chips from the oven.....a good treat!

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • barbaradav
    Options
    Some other ideas: Double up on veggies with one "starchy" and one not. For example, corn (starchy) and green beans. Starchy vegetables generally include root vegetables such as beets, turnips, parsnips, and carrots. All of these are tasty roasted. You may also want to consider starchy beans as a starch - lentils, white beans, non-fat refried beans. There are lots of starch options out there. Hope this helps!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Quinoa? It is a grain from South America. It is cooked the same as you would rice. Very tasty-it has a "nutty" flavor. You can find it at Trader Joes and Winco.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Cous cous is very good too....
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You may also want to consider starchy beans as a starch - lentils, white beans, non-fat refried beans.

This might sound kinda weird, but we eat lentils topped with a couple of eggs. It is tasty though. I make my lentils a little like rice (I cook the water off), so that they lentils are a little hard and not mushy. I also use low sodium chicken bullion in the water for flavor.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You may also want to consider starchy beans as a starch - lentils, white beans, non-fat refried beans.

This might sound kinda weird, but we eat lentils topped with a couple of eggs. It is tasty though. I make my lentils a little like rice (I cook the water off), so that they lentils are a little hard and not mushy. I also use low sodium chicken bullion in the water for flavor.

Wow, that sounds good. Need to try it!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Rachael Ray has a recipe where she makes fresh green bean fries...they fry up nice and crunchy and with a little salt they are just as satisfying as french fries...but of course you have the oil from the fryer to add into your allotted calories...but I tried it and they are very good...