Low-carb troubles

Options
My girlfriend and I are both on a low-carb diet. I've been losing weight rapidly, but she has completely stalled, and even gained a few.

It's my understanding that women in general have a tougher time losing weight. She's down several pant sizes and looks noticibly thinner, but the scale says otherwise.

We typically eat the same meals and she is almost always in the 12-16 carb range. The induction phase of Atkins has a limit of 20.

Like I said, I've been shedding pounds, she hasn't. Same diet, except I do think she exercises more.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    What a man needs to lose weight and what a women needs to lose weight are different. What might work for you might not work for her? My husband lost 110lbs in 8 months, I lost 30 - Women generally lose weight slower.

How much water does she drink?
    Where is she getting all the carbs she is getting from? 15g of carbs should be coming from Vegetables (per Atkins)
    How many calories is she following? (you will need more protein than her)
    Is she strength training as well as cardio?

Maybe she could try increasing her carbs just a bit
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    also women retain ater much easier than men... is it TOM? or close to it when she gains?
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If she is losing inches like you said she is then she is losing fat and gaining muscle. You can't always go by the scale, the tape measure won't lie. Most of the time inches lost means fat has been loss.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    she has to eat some of her workout calories back so her body isnt in starvation mode and drink enough water, if she is exercising more than you.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    Options
    she has to eat some of her workout calories back so her body isnt in starvation mode and drink enough water, if she is exercising more than you.

I have to disagree! You do not HAVE to eat your calorie exercise back or your body will go into starvation mode. You would need to survive off a very low calorie diet (400-500 caloires) for SEVERAL days for your body to go into starvation mode. SInce you body is harboring fat already, you have enough to live off of for several days without your body going into starvation mode.
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    Maybe try upping the carbs a bit. My wife and I have, after much research, decided that both sides seem to argue a lot of B-S to the opposite side. Also, I believe that, as with so many things, $ is involved as much as, if not more, than the customer's long term results. With what we learned, and some critical thinking, we adjusted our diets to get the benefits of increased proteins while keeping up with the energy of higher carbs. In other words, we went reduced carbs instead of low carbs, and it's worked great for both of us, is easy to stick with, and is working. We set our diaries for a 40-40-20 balance, and try to keep our protein and carb intake balanced.

If she increases her carbs, just a little, and sees results, then slowly begin reducing them down to the desired amount, maybe a little a week. I think once her bodies adjusted she will do fine.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Not typically correct.

Most of the time when people are not losing weight it's either water retention or bad diet.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If she is not losing,Keep at it but also measure calories consumed. It is still possible to overeat on Atkins. Have you checked to see she actually is ketotic as well?
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins 7 years ago to lose wt prior to getting pregnant with my second child and it took me a year to lose 30 lbs. That was without any excercise and just watching my carbs. I started back with my wt loss efforts with MFP last Sept and only dropped 10lbs or so and gained it back immediately. I then opted to go to Atkins again since I felt it really worked to help regulate my hunger and cravings. This is what I have found this time........I decided to not only to do induction for one month but to track my calories on MFP and not exceed the rec 1500 for the day. I adjusted my perimeters to show only 20g carbs and 45% and 55% fat and protein respectively. I then placed myself on a month regime because trust me monthly is the only way to do it, due to the fluctuations in hormones and water wt that women experience. I decide to just start a mild workout 20 minutes cardio AM and PM and some mild wt lifting and crunches daily (15 minutes) I try to eat at least half of my excercise calories back although it can be difficult and keep your carbs low. What I found is that I can lose about 5-8 lbs a month but it looks something like this. Week 1 1.8-2.2 lbs, Week 2 (week before period) 1.2-1.4lbs, Week 3: (period) 0.40.6lbs, Week 4: 2.5-3.0. My clothes fit looser all the time but the body just seems to hold that wt in case. then dumps it once the period is over. I have a lot less back pain and cramping with low carbs diet as well. She will lose slower than you....it was very discouraging to me to see my husband lose quickly while I struggled but testosterone and area of lean muscle mass ratio's between men and women should NOT be underestimated. Lastly I did much better the "cleaner" my diet got. The chemicals in diet soda and the Atkins bars and drinks don't help as much as fresh food. Lastly, tell her NOT to overexcercise if she is in too much of a deficit of calories she will stall.....I think this happens to a lot of people and they get harder on themselves when they just need to actually lighten up! Tell her to hang in there. If she wants to add me as a friend so she can see my diary and progress since we are both on Atkins go ahead.:flowerforyou:
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Right...the whole point of Atkins is to get your body to use stored body fat as fuel, so you eat more fat. Going into any such starvation mode doesn't apply per se, cause once the body uses the energy consumed, it goes onto fat stored. You dont need to count calories...you listen to your body. If you're super hungry, eat til youre full, even if thats 2000 calories. Dont eat if you're not hungry. Some days if you only can consume 800 calories, that's all you're supposed to eat...

Everyone reacts differently to this diet...some say they lose 20lbs in one month, others lose 7. Different bodies receive different results at different times.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    The funny thing about low carb diets is that 90% of the time they also happen to be pretty low calorie diets as well. IMO, they are a waste of time unless you are insulin resistant. About 70% of the weight lost the first couple weeks is water weight that will come back the minute you start eating carbs again and after that the rate of weight loss is the same as a standerd reduced calorie diet.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    She could be more metabolically resistant than you. She could have hypothyroidism (but controlling carbs and sugars sometimes helps these conditions eventually). She should keep it up, make sure her foods are not too processed and from healthy sources . . and maybe join a gym and get a trainer. There is a chapter in the Atkins book about a 1 to 3 day fat fast for metabolically challenged people but it's kind of extreme.
  • komplexlysimple
    Options
    Maybe she should try carb cycling.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    She could be more metabolically resistant than you. She could have hypothyroidism (but controlling carbs and sugars sometimes helps these conditions eventually). She should keep it up, make sure her foods are not too processed and from healthy sources . . and maybe join a gym and get a trainer. There is a chapter in the Atkins book about a 1 to 3 day fat fast for metabolically challenged people but it's kind of extreme.

Exactly why I mentioned insulin resistance. The fact is, very few people are insulin resistant enough to make low carb diets worth while. The thyroid condition theory is incorrect, low carb diets will benefit them no more than anyone else.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I know for myself, regardless of weightloss or not, the whole way I feel is 100% better than I was eating the normal recommened amount of carbs....so same weightloss or not, this is what my body and mind prefers. I feel like a whole new person. But I do think for most people, to expect the huge amount of weightloss at the get-go is setting them up for frustration and failure...but hang on...it'll get better.
  • jvbrooks
    jvbrooks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses, and terribly sorry for the late reply.

We've tried a few things, but her weight loss is only trickling, but she's losing inches like crazy (and gaining muscle!) so, I guess that's that?