My stress management project

Options
Karleyyy
Karleyyy Posts: 857
I am doing a project for one of my classes. I have to make a tree of knowledge about stress management. The different parts of the tree have different information:

Cloud: What is a stressor (something that causes stress) in your life?

Root: What is something that you learned from your family about managing stress?

Trunk: What is something that you learned from your culture about managing stress?

Branch: What is something that you taught yourself about managing stress?

I am having a hard time brainstorming ideas for what I have learned from my family and my culture, but I was also curious- what would you have down for your clouds, roots, trunk, and branches? :)

Also, none of these things have to be positive..if you learned something negative from your family, put it down.

Replies

• b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    my cloud is the fact that I am a single mother, with no job, going to school online, and living with my dad unti i can get on my feet again after living in a domestic violence shelter for 8 months

Root: What is something that you learned from your family about managing stress?
    my root is that you eat, you smoke more cigs, you curse, you yell, you sit and watch tv

Trunk: What is something that you learned from your culture about managing stress?
    my trunk is as a white woman in lower middle class you are supposed to be stressed because your life is ****ty so deal with it and hold it in, no one wants to hear your problems.

my branch is i try to let it roll off my shoulders, I pray to God for strength and guidance, and I go for a walk.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    CPA exam, sick sister, sick grandfather, finances, husband, son, house, weight,

something that helps manage stress is time-management. My family is terrible about time management and I am working on getting out of that cycle!

Umm... I'm not sure about how to answer this question but I think that our society today is so full of stress that you cannot avoid it and I think that stress can't be 100% avoided but it can be managed!

One step at a time. Sticking with this weight loss has really taught me patience and how just working towards a goal and achieving mini goals along the way make the stress more manageable!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Loved this post. Thanks for reaching out for help.

Here goes:

Cloud: What is a stressor (something that causes stress) in your life? I would say money. I took a job making less for better work life balance and better hours. This has caused more pressure to pay the bills each month. Often I feel that we're doing well as a couple but that we're in over our heads. We own a home, a vacation home, and an investment property so we have a ton going on on our house to keep this all afloat!

Root: What is something that you learned from your family about managing stress? Well my Mom has been battling cancer for the past year. I've learned that if you don't manage your stress it can really cause problems. I've watched my parents tear apart their marriage because my Mom refused to get help while going through treatments. You can't go at it alone. Things are more balanced now, but what a year!

Trunk: What is something that you learned from your culture about managing stress? I've learned that taking care of myself is number 1. If I skip the gym I don't sleep well and eat well. If I skip the gym I have trouble at work. If I eat right and take care of myself I'm a better less-stressed person. I've also learned that a combination of Pilates and Yoga is very helpful at managing stress. Sitting at a desk all day is very bad for your body!

Branch: What is something that you taught yourself about managing stress? That when the office door closes at 4:30, leave work at work and have a life!
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Cloud: My parents cause me stress they are going through a divorce

Root: My family usually waits until the stress is unbearable and then they explode into full blown yelling matches maybe even a fight or two

Trunk: I am Indian/Guyanese Stress is something as a women that you have to deal with on your own. You are expected to keep your stress to yourself and be the ideal wife, mom, daughter-in-law etc. despite your own issues.

Branch: Stress has to be dealt with as it arises or else it can cause physical, emotional, and mental problems. I try to exercise and most importantly talk to God about my stress and try to leave it in his hands.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Cloud: What is a stressor? (something that causes stress)I'm taking on too much to try to achieve goals....want to buy a house so gotta get things in order to do so

Root: What is something that you learned from your family about managing stress: My family has different ways to manage stress....& not very well...my mother suffered depression before..( I too had for a while).... others just vent

Trunk: What is something from your culture about managing stress? Mexican culture are mostly hot heads by default....too much "machismo"...so not much

Branch:What is something that you taught yourself about managing stress? Working out has really helped me it's where I can have my "moment of zen" I've been off depression meds for over a year.....& now that I've increased my workout I have a way to vent....go for a walk run or a bike ride
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    fantastic post....thank you for sharing!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be positive. It just has to be honest.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be positive. It just has to be honest.