Running Headphones

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
So I have just been using the cheapo ear buds you can get in the checkout line at the store for my headphones (I tend to lose/break them easily so I just buy cheap ones so it's not as bad of a replacement).

I have found though that they don't stay in my ears well while running. And since running is my main form of cardio this is crucial. Without good tunes going I have issues running.

Now I know good headphones will cost me. I'm prepared for that (hopefully not more than $40 though). Do any runners or anyone else for that matter have any suggestions for brands or types of headphones that work well with running?

I've seen that Nike and Sony make "sports" headphones that either wrap around the neck with still the ear bud type or kind of incase the ear and clip on so they don't fall out. Anyone try these??

Thank you thank you for any suggestions!!! :)

Replies

• jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    great question! BUMP
  • dlssmith
    dlssmith Posts: 1
    Options
    I would also be interested in finding a pair that do not fall out. That really messes up your run, when your earphones keep falling out.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike Flow headphones and love them. I had a bad habit of accidentally pulling out my headphones when I was running. This work perfect. Even if I accidentally pull on the cord they stay put. They've gotten some bad reviews because of the sound but that doesn't really bother me, as long as I hear my music I'm good.

http://reviews.nike.com/9191/AC1514/nike-flow-headphones-reviews/reviews.htm
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have Bose earbuds that have a silicone upper inner ear support, so it slides around the cartilage area to hold the bud inside.... LOVE IT! They were $100 in the Bose store, but maybe you can find them online cheaper?
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Motorola MOTOROKR S9-HD. They're wireless (bluetooth). I've had them for several months now and I like them.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Koss sportapro, fantastic sound, low price.... Check them out
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    The best solution EVER is Yurbuds...they are little slipcovers that fit over your existing earbuds and WILL NOT FALL OUT...very cool, very worth the money, and they last forever. I went through about a set of headphones a month before I discovered these:

http://www.yurbuds.com/

FYI...scroll down to the bottom of the page to look at what I bought (the "enhancers"), cheap at $20 and saves you a load of grief. I haven't tried any of their actual headphones, just the slipcovers.
  • artvandalay
    Options
    Get these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-As20J-Active-Headphones-Hangers/dp/B0015AHRFK

Sony Mdr-As20J Active Style Headphones with Soft Loop Hangers ... they wrap around your ears and DON"T BUDGE! I've been running with them and they don't move, and the sound is pretty good! And around $15.. not bad.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I buy the cheap $10 ones at Target.. I think they are sony or something like that or skull candy. I make sure they have the rubber part that goes into your ear because those are the ones that don't fall out for me. If I get ones that are like the earbuds that come with ipods or iphones they fall out all the time.

Plus I had my cheap sony ones in my pocket of my running jacket... it went through the wash, then through the dryer and when I foudn them they still worked and they still look great too. You would never know so I know they can take a beating
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hey there stranger!! I can help you on this one!!

I have the sony ones that wrap BEHIND your ear with a small speaker that goes in your ear. I love them. I tend to perspire more than I'd like for a girl and YES they stay on. Even when my dog jerks me and I'm galloping down teh street with her- they stay on.

My husband has the other ones by Nike (I think) the ones that actually wrap AROUND the ear...and he loves them. he says they are much more comfortable than mine...and they also have a small speaker that goes into your ear.

Either which way- they stay on and I promise that I didn't spend more than say $25 on either....

Good Luck on your hunt!!
  • mixtapemusings
    mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I got these Philips running headphones at Target for less than $20. They are the best running headphones I have ever had! They have amazing sound and don't budge while I'm running. Love Love Love!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=philips+sport+buds&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7052591558061849299&sa=X&ei=o1CwTdz4Cc7dgQfHg8T4Cw&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAw#
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Get these:

Sony Mdr-As20J Active Style Headphones with Soft Loop Hangers ... they wrap around your ears and DON"T BUDGE! I've been running with them and they don't move, and the sound is pretty good! And around $15.. not bad.

I was just about to post this same link. I use these and they never fall out when I run. I'm tough on headphones too, and I've tried a few different ones for under $15 recently. These are the best I've found for the money.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Oh another tip for keeping them from falling out....

I run them under the strap of my sports bra that way the wires are not bouncing all over the place (which bugs me!) and there isn't any tugging at them just make sure you give enough slack
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Get these:

i totally agree! these rock! you can get them at target too for around $20
  • utes09
    Options
    Get these:

I had these in my grocery cart just last night!!!!! Good to hear someone has used them! I will pick them up when I go to the store again! :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Oh another tip for keeping them from falling out....

I run them under the strap of my sports bra that way the wires are not bouncing all over the place (which bugs me!) and there isn't any tugging at them just make sure you give enough slack

so what kind of sports bra would you suggest for me?
  • utes09
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I'm going to get the Sony over the ear ones!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Sennheiser/adidas PMX 680i Sports are $69 -- this is for iPhone- they have several models, one without a MIc would be cheaper
    sound INCREDIBLE but still 'open' enough so you can hear traffic...and you can run them under the tap afterwards to clean 'em out

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_sport-line_504604

In addition to not budging & withstanding the sweat working out and feeling so comfortable you forget they are on i like the pouch, and clip... and that these never get tangled up like the earbuds. Despite owning a few pairs of Apple's high end IN -EAR buds (one got dragged behind the car when i shut the door on it dangling around!) haven't gone back to them since getting these even when I'm not working out.
  • clvdandj
    clvdandj Posts: 76
    Options
    I bought a pair for 5 bucks, cheap panasonic old school over the head head phones, and i just throw a hat on, on top of it. Works great