Sugar

Options
My calorie limit is 1200 a day, which is very easy to attain, however when trying to attain it, I go over on different things. Most specifically, sugar. Eating 1 banana is more than half of my sugar intake. Is there a way to differentiate between "natural" sugar and "bad" sugar? My husband tells me that it is ok to have fruit sugar, since it's natural, just to have it in moderation. While others tell me that if I ate fruit all day long I'd be the size of an elephant (I'm highly skeptical of this, obviously). Nothing I can do (as far as I can tell) will allow me to cut out sugar more than I already have. I find myself killing my body in the gym, just to make up for the extra sugar I've taken in. I rarely go over calories, it's the sugar I go over on. Any help?

Replies

• JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think that the sugar from fruits is fine, it is the other stuff that you need to really worry about. I also go over on sugar most days.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Look at your food diary. If it's sugar primarily from natural sources (fruits, etc), you'll be fine. Don't fret over it. If it's coming from candy or processed foods, then yes, there is a problem.

I've only had a handful of days where I HAVEN'T gone over on sugar, and I've been doing just fine.

Tip: Any meals that have high sugar levels, make sure the source also has fiber, or you are eating another item that is high in fiber. This will help to regulate your insulin reponse, so your blood sugar won't spike.
  • sl8ter7
    sl8ter7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm reading the book 17 day diet by Dr. Moreno or something like that. He talks about fruit and says to have like 2 servings of it a day the not so sugary kind. Pineapple, banana's fall into the sugary kind. I would say try eating all the not so sugary kind like apples oranges kiwi mango. Just a thought. As long as your eating fruit I think your doing great!
  • mamma3monkeys
    Options
    oookay, guess what? so do I. Not all the time and it seems to be only the days when I'm working out and eating more complex carbs and fruit before hand. Maybe reach for having 2-3 servings of fruit a day and see how that affects it. You get sugars in your veggies (carrots are high), some grains as well - naturally. Yeah, everything in moderation and all that but you're not binging on ice cream for goodness sakes.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't track sugars on my diary page, I watch fiber and iron instead. Fruit sugar is different from processed sugar in the sense that it comes pre-packaged with fiber and other nutrients your body needs. On the other hand fructose can play a significant role in building insulin resistance. I agree that you can choose to eat fruits with a lower sugar count (berries for instance) but I see no harm in going a bit over your sugars if you're not having a health problem because of it, as long as you stay in line with your overall carbs and calories.