Talk to your kids!

2»

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    What concerns me with most of these posts is that we are not taking into account the feelings of the child who has asked the 'unacceptable question' or had an 'unacceptable comment' When you scold a child, you are diminishing his self esteem and his curiousity.

Instead of saying something like 'that's not nice!' we should focus on the differences and celebrate them. 'Yes, her belly is different than yours, isn't it great the God makes us all differently. I think she is beautiful!' That way you address the child's curiousity, don't harm his self esteem or squash his curiousity, and you build the self-esteem of the child the curiosity was directed towards.

Remember it's nature for children to be curious and to point out differences. Yes, sometimes it can be hurtful but handled correctly, both children can come out of the situation feeling good, and understanding social rules.

Thank you - your post address my issues with some of the responses. I think we still need to talk to children about what and when comments are appropriate, but without passing on our own insecurities.
This discussion has been closed.