Gourmet Grilled Cheese

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
I've been craving this ever since I found out Cosi discontinued their Four Cheese & Fig sandwich, so I took it upon myself to make a more moderate substitute.

2 slices light bread
1 oz. sharp cheddar, sliced
1 oz. spreadable goat cheese
1 Tbsp. fig preserves or jam
Butter spray or light spreadable margarine

Prepare like you would a traditional grilled cheese sandwich, with the jam spread in between the 2 different kinds of cheese. Spray or spread the outside of the bread with your butter substitute, and cook over medium/high heat until crispy & browned.

The combination of salty & sweet, and the flavors of the 2 different cheeses is out of this world. As listed here, the sandwich is 300 calories, with a load of calcium from the cheese too. :)

If you don't like goat cheese, I would think almost any 2 cheeses would work, but I'd stay away from "ordinary" choices like American or Provolone. Even the cheddar's pretty plain, but that's why I used sharp. Brie or Fontina would be great substitutes for the goat cheese too, if you prefer, but I don't know what that would do to the calories.

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! Sounds sooo YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks girl!!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would love to try yours....here is what I made for lunch

Thomas's Whole Wheat Bagel Thin
    1 babybel light, sliced
    85g of imitation crab

sprayed the pan with Pam and squished with a lid to make it like a Panini.....OMG I will do that again!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love to put thinly sliced granny smith apple and caramelized red onion in my grilled cheese. Especially awesome with muenster or swiss, on rye. Really complex flavors let you get away with FAR less cheese!

I have to try your recipe now!
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh my that sounds sooo gooooood!!!!!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    Sounds amazing!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I love to put thinly sliced granny smith apple and caramelized red onion in my grilled cheese. Especially awesome with muenster or swiss, on rye. Really complex flavors let you get away with FAR less cheese!

I have to try your recipe now!

You're so right -- it's the STRONG flavors that let you get away with using less quantity, but using the real, delicious thing. No fake, chemical-tasting bland reduced-fat substitutes.

Mild & lowfat cheeses have their place, but not in my sandwich!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This sounded so good that I had to try something similar using what I had on hand for lunch today. :~)

This is what I used:

2 slices whole grain bread (2 slices for 100 cals)
    1 wedge laughing cow swiss (35 cals)
    2 T shredded cheddar jack cheese
    1 tsp grape jelly
    1 tsp smart balance spread on the outsides of the bread for grilling.

MIne came out to 255 cals total YUM! Thanks for sharing!!
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I have never thought outside the box that way about grilled cheese sandwhiches. I pretty much wrote them off...these recipes are amazing and I can not wait to try them out. Quick and easy too!!

Thanks for sharing everyone.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    Had this for lunch today and it was delicious!!!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Wow, this sounds yummy! Not sure we have fig jam, but i'm sure I can find a suitable substitute! Thanks!
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    wow what a great idea! I am definitely going to have to try this!
  • myranda2888
    myranda2888 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump