A new use for the dreaded mirror!

Options
I hate mirrors. HATE. I always have.

Actually, I should correct myself on that - I did NOT hate mirrors after I lost 75 pounds back in 2007. Then the weight came back and I did again.

The other day, I was having to cram lunch down while driving from one end of town to the other. I made decent decisions in the drive-thru (Wendy's Ultimate Chicken Grill and a small chili with no cheese, water to drink)... and then as I was inhaling this meal, I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection off the clear plastic in front of my speedometer. The angle was such that I could see my double chin quite clearly as I chewed. And even though I wasn't chowing down on a hot fudge sundae, I suddenly thought to myself, "wow, I really wish I had something more healthy for lunch."

And then I had an epiphany. I need more mirrors!! I wonder what would happen if I put a mirror in view while I eat. I wonder if I would be more conscious of what I'm eating, how I'm eating it, and how it will affect my body. So I tried it. AND IT WORKED. I don't know what changed inside my head, but watching myself when I eat (or rather, making sure I can see myself) has made me notice how I eat too fast, and how when I do eat something I shouldn't, it's not so easy to just mindlessly do it and try to put it out of my mind. I pay so much more attention to what is going into my mouth and I think it will help me immensely with my weight loss.

It doesn't have to be a hand mirror or anything, it could be just a little tiny fold-up one sitting on your dining room table or a makeup compact propped up on your desk at work, if you eat lunch there. No idea if it will help anyone else, but I wanted to share just in case. :)

Replies

• Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    Sounds like something I might try. The only time I look in the mirror now is getting ready for work in the morning.
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    That's a great idea!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Dang, I used to do the very same thing. I fricken hate mirrors and usually use them to hang my clothes on. >_>
    But that one time when I got treated to jack in the box, I caught my reflection and just ended up ordering a large water, haha.