Should I trust my HRM?

Options
I went for a walk and it sais that I burned 420 calories in 35 minutes. I walked fast but MFP said I lost 280. I have my age set up on my HRM.
What do you think?

Replies

• pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    What was your average heart rate during your walk? 420 calories in 35 minutes is a heckuva burn unless your heartrate was pretty high.
  • bellisima6
    bellisima6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What was your average heart rate during your walk? 420 calories in 35 minutes is a heckuva burn unless your heartrate was pretty high.

it was 170
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Was your monitor indicating a reasonable heart rate during your walk? Sometimes mine goes off into outer space (170!) for awhile and overestimates. Usually happens if the chest band is too loose. 420 sounds really high for walking 35 minutes.
  • luciamrg
    luciamrg Posts: 11
    Options
    170 is pretty high. For me, thats within my 80% so your HRM might actually be right.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think it depends largely on how fit you are. Unfortunately, HRMs don't account for this. Someone who is fitter will be able to do intense work without ever getting their heart rate as high as an unfit person but they will still burn the same (or more if their muscle mass is better) calories. So if you are quite unfit (and hence the high heart rate) then I would guess it's an overestimate. Hope that helps.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I would like to buy your hrm ;)

mine gives me next to nothing, for example 35mins walking yesterday I got 56 cals lol , maximum speed 6.8kmph average speed 4.8kmph, my hrm hates me!!!!!!! I am not very overweight now, and I am pretty fit so my heart rate doesnt soar..... but jeez.... only moaning!!!!

I used to count on mfp's calculations but found them high, however i used to enjoy eating back those calories ;)

try out eating back your hrm cals, if you gain you know you gotta reduce the numbers! good luck!
  • bellisima6
    Options
    I'm going with what MFP said and will not be eating them back.
  • bellisima6
    Options
    170 is pretty high. For me, thats within my 80% so your HRM might actually be right.

don't know about being unfit, I'm 5.6 and weight 148 pounds and I work our 4 times a week. I got the HRM to make sure that I was burning enough calories but now I'm not so sure I may have to return it. Thanks
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of walking should be somewhere between 150 to 200 calories.
  • pchann
    Options
    So your 33 years old and your weight isn't extreme. I think your HRM is functioning improperly. For your age and weight walking shouldn't get your heart to 170 bpm.
  • ndhr3d
    ndhr3d Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have to really be booking it at a jogging pace to get over 150bpm... I agree with pchann... may have a faulty one.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, HRMs don't account for this.

On a side note, that should really read "MOST HRMs don't account for this." My HRM allows imput of VO2Max, so it does a very good job of adapting for my level of fitness. It also has a built in test for estimating VO2Max, which I have read elsewhere is decently accurate.

Essentially, the more info your HRM can accept, the more accurate the estimate it gives you back will be.
  • jsarrington
    Options
    No way your average was 170 on a walk. It wasn't reading right. If it was 170 then that amount of calories if correct. I just cant see you even reaching 170 as a max while walking.
  • dhiggins8
    dhiggins8 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    heck when I get in the car my hrm goes crazy says my hr is over 200 I don't get that excited about going for a car ride like a dog does.

my question for ya'll is when do you take your reading say my heart rate is 72 before I start working out do i take the calories burned right after working out or when it reaches my starting heart rate?
  • pchann
    Options
    Dhiggins, your resting heart rate is 72? Wow my friend thats high. Please be carefull when exercising. With a resting HR that high it makes me worry about your blood pressure and other stats. If this is really your resting heart rate i would suggest you design an exercise and diet routine through a professional i.e. doctor or certified nutrionist/trainer.
  • dhiggins8
    dhiggins8 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Dhiggins, your resting heart rate is 72? Wow my friend thats high. Please be carefull when exercising. With a resting HR that high it makes me worry about your blood pressure and other stats. If this is really your resting heart rate i would suggest you design an exercise and diet routine through a professional i.e. doctor or certified nutrionist/trainer.
    [/quote)

I was just using 72 as a example my rearing heart rate is between 55 and 60 I am on blood pressure meds. But my question was do I record my calories burned right after my workout or wait until my heart returns to preworkout rate?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The HRM I just returned told me something crazy like that too.. but it also depends on what kind of walking your doing.
    I generally walk on a treadmill at the highest incline and a speed of 3 miles per hour and burn about 350-370 calories... so it may be right or it may be wrong.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Normal resting heart rate is 60-80 for a healthy person
  • pchann
    Options
    [/quote)

I was just using 72 as a example my rearing heart rate is between 55 and 60 I am on blood pressure meds. But my question was do I record my calories burned right after my workout or wait until my heart returns to preworkout rate?

I just use a general rule that I read on the p90x boards. After your workout you should always stretch for aout ten minutes. This will help your muscles recover and for the at the end of my stretching I can do a hamstring bend with normal respiration. My heart isn't at "resting" levels but it's comin down.
  • pchann
    Options
    Normal resting heart rate is 60-80 for a healthy person

Love Google

http://www.fatburn-secrets.com/normal-resting-heart-rate.html