I must be doing something wrong...

Options
MzBug
MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
Since I switched from resistance bands to low weight dumbbells for arm, shoulder and upper back strengthening, I have been getting headaches. It seems to center on the mid neck/low skull area, not real painfull, more like a dull ache that will last a couple days. Anyone have any advice on what the cause may be, and how I can avoid them? Like I said, not real painfull, it's just there and it is getting irritating....

Thanks!

Replies

• Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    Maybe your stressing your neck while doing using them?
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching your neck and shoulders really good before and after you work out
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    See if they go away if you switch back to the bands. If not, have a good look at your food diary as something could have changed causing the headaches. Maybe extra artificial sweeteners (aspartame will cause headaches) entered your diet that you didn't consider? Are the weights too heavy? Maybe you are straining when lifting or holding your breath causing added pressure?

If that's the only change and it persists I'd recommend seeing your doctor.

ETA: watch yourself in the mirror if you can while you use the weights. Maybe you're pulling your neck forward so you don't hit your head and don't realize it. This odd angle could be straining your neck.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    its caused from stress... They are a pain in the butt..
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    its caused from stress... They are a pain in the butt..

I have been accused of having my head up my butt a few times...
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Happened to me the first few times but once I was used to it they stopped.