HEALTHY COLLEGE MEALS?!

littlecollegegirl
littlecollegegirl Posts: 16
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone, I am wondering if you can eat healthy at the dorms/ Apts? I need heathly breastfasts, lunch and dinners. Right now i don't feel so healthy eating fast food and stuff. So does anyone know any healthy foods to eat?

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    It's totally possible to eat healthy at the cafeteria if you can say no to the bad choices. But really, if you have a microwave, you can be eating healthy!

- Fruit, oatmeal, cereal, poached eggs in the microwave for breakfasts.
    - Sandwiches, string cheese, fruit, salads for lunches.
    - Microwave pasta (they sell makers at walmart), Stouffer's (not the healthiest, but at least better than fast food) in a bind for dinners.

Search healthy microwave meals and that should help.

You should go to the hall directors and ask if they have a kitchen available for student use. Usually they do but people just don't know about it!! Then you have a full oven/stove/sink for your use. :)
  • Breakfast:

Whole wheat bagels, or those thin bagels with less calories, light cream cheese top with some tomatoes, and have some fruit, or drink orange juice.

Ozery Bakery also makes these "morning rounds" that I love to pop into the toaster if I dont have time to eat. They are really healthy, plus they are low in calories. You could spread some jam or light cream cheese on them! http://us.ozerybakeryinc.com/who

Eggs are inexpensive, so is spinach, you could make some omelets. Try using egg whites as much as possible although I know the ones in the carton can be a little costly.

Lunch:

Couscous is a very inexpensive, healthy grain that cooks super fast, even in the microwave. You can really add anything to it like tomatoes, chicken, add some seasonings that you like or some cheese!

You could make a healthy BLT ...organic, whole grain bread with green leaf lettuce, tomatoes, and either "smart bacon" or turkey bacon with no nitrates.

Dinner:

Tofu Shiritaki noodles are super inexpensive, healthy, and very very low in calories. They are about $1.29 a bag. better then eating Cup of noodles. They come in a bag with water, all you have to do it drain them and microwave them. Add whatever you want to them.. saute some veggies ( you could buy a frozen mix), chicken, or make them cheesy by adding milk and flour to a small pan, and stirring it until it get thick, then add some cheese.

You could also make some healthy quesadillas using light cheese, and whatever veggies you have left over from other meals, using whole wheat tortillas, or sprouted corn tortillas. (Canned beans are also inexpensive. Just make sure you get low sodium and you can add them to your quesadilla, salads, and make tacos later on in the week.

Annie's makes healthy boxed mac n cheese that is a lot better for you than Kraft. White beans would taste yummy with some mac n cheese! Or add some "smart dogs" aka fake hot dogs to get some veggies in there.

Try to add some color to every meal that you eat, veggies or fruit. And to keep cost down, buy only what you need and make as many different meals as you can with it. Freeze what you can to use at a later time.

I have a blog with some food/recipe idea's too if you want to take a look. www.healthy-confessions.com

I hope this helped a little bit!
  • SaraTonin
    My go-to meal in the dorms was bean burritos. Fast, simple, all fresh ingredients. Can of fat free refried beans, cheese, tortilla, salsa, done! Can't believe I forgot those!!!

Also, to help you out with friends who try to get you to go out for dinner, tell them you're trying to save up some money. That is the go-to college student excuse. ;)

Statistically, most students gain the Freshman 15 from alcohol, so try to abstain from that when possible.
  • EmmaB1093
    EmmaB1093 Posts: 11
    Ahhh, I have this same problem! It's so hard being on a meal plan and HAVING to eat on campus with all the food being so unhealthy!
    I usually just go straight to the salad bar and load up on veggies and fruits - avoid the cheese, croutons, and creamy dressings though.
    Other than that, we don't have too many super healthy options. It's a bummer. I miss being able to cook my own food...
  • Thanks everyone for your help.

EmmaB093. I know what you are talking about. We have healther options than you probably. Lol. But mostly not. Its not the greatest thing ever tell you that much
  • SaraTonin
    I miss the cafeteria. I ate my healthiest there by far!
This discussion has been closed.