The Sweat Myth

Options
If you don’t work up a sweat, you aren’t working hard enough.

Truth: Don’t sweat the lack of perspiration, it doesn’t mean you aren’t working hard enough to torch calories.

“Your body cools itself through evaporation which causes the body to sweat,” said Decker. “If a person sweats a lot this doesn’t mean that they are working harder or that they are burning more calories, it just means that the body is trying to maintain its normal temperature.”

Factors like hotter temperatures outside or inside the gym could also contribute to excess sweating. Decker says if you are doing a cross training day that includes a stretching class, you may notice that you are sweating very little. Yet if you are doing a total body strength training workout that includes weight lifting and cardiovascular exercise, you may notice yourself sweating more. There’s really no correlation between sweat rate and calories burned during exercise.

taken from:http://sdgln.com/health/2009/12/07/exercise-smarter-eight-great-fitness-myths-exposed

Replies

• SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I always thought that too..
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks for sharing!
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks for sharing!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    agreed to an extent. you don't have to be covered in sweat.. but if you aren't sweating, you aren't working hard enough. lol.
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    agreed to an extent. you don't have to be covered in sweat.. but if you aren't sweating, you aren't working hard enough. lol.

Right on point!!!!!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    better use your heart rate as a gauge than the moisture content of your workout towel.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If I work out in my apt with my A/C on it's rare that I really sweat, I may get a bead or 2 on my forehead or what have you, however on the days I have my windows open on A/C off I will sweat buckets just cleaning..Doesn't mean I'm working harder or burning more calories, just means the temp is hotter.