Anyone doing a keto diet?

Options
I am needing a little help on how to get all my healthy fats in a day and stay in calorie range? Is it best to get all the fats in or is less sometimes ok. Thanks

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    What do you have your settings on? I'm eating Paleo and have chosen to stay in ketosis on a daily basis. I'm eating plenty of healthy fat and am staying under my calories even though Paleo doesn't necessarily prescribe to calorie watching.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert , but I'll offer my "opinion". Just depends on how you feel. If you feel good, have energy, then I wouldn't worry about it. but if you start feeling sluggish, i would up my fat. the whole point of keto is to use stored fat, right? looking forward to seeing what other people have to say about it. (except the ones that will see your post and come in here to bash you b/c you are doing something different than them!) lol
  • MissKim
    Options
    May I add a question to yours?? how many carbs have yall noticed it taking to be in ketosis??? what should i stay under if wanted to reach that??
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    May I add a question to yours?? how many carbs have yall noticed it taking to be in ketosis??? what should i stay under if wanted to reach that??

Try this.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/

I'm typically between 30-50g's
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am doing a keto based eating plan.

I would like to note in advance that I eat a much higher fat rate percentage wise than the average person. It is what works for me and makes me feel good.

I eat fresh cut bacon, chicken with the skin on it and primarily eat dark meat for extra fat, almond butter, avocado, nuts (but not peanuts, they are a legume)...........I also use a lot of coconut oil, beef tallow (home made from grass fed beef) and I filter my bacon fat and use it for cooking, stir frying and sauteeing green veggies; it adds flavor and a bit of sodium without adding salt.

I do use a little bit of butter now and then, but not often as I am trying to keep my dairy intake low or next to nothing.

You could also eat full fat greek yogurt and cheese to up your fat intake.

The good think with a higher fat eating plan is that you stay fuller and satisfied longer so in the end you will end up eating less.
  • Grokette
    Options

For most people 3-5 days of eating fats, protein and about 0-25 grams of carbs in the form of green leafy vegetables will put you in ketosis.
  • MotherofDREAMS
    Options
    *bump* (will have to read later)
  • SabineH05
    SabineH05 Posts: 15
    Options
    Watch out what kind of fat you eat, saturated fat like in coconut oil or in animal fat is in large amounts not too good, it can make you choleserol go up and is bad for your arteries and not too healthy for your body, even if you loose weight.
    Try to get more unsaturated fat out of, e.g. Olive oil, fish (lika salmon or tuna) or avocado.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Watch out what kind of fat you eat, saturated fat like in coconut oil or in animal fat is in large amounts not too good, it can make you choleserol go up and is bad for your arteries and not too healthy for your body, even if you loose weight.
    Try to get more unsaturated fat out of, e.g. Olive oil, fish (lika salmon or tuna) or avocado.

Saturated fat is not bad for you..............Saturated fat is very necessary in generous quantities for a lot of essential body functions, especially brain function.

Here is some educational reading for you :flowerforyou:

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.preventionisbest.com/site/saturatedfat.html

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Completely disagree on the comment about coconut oil and saturated fat from animals. Grassfed animals are VERY high in Omega 3's.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Completely disagree on the comment about coconut oil.

I disagree with the comment on Coconut oil as well as other forms of saturated fats. There is more and more proof coming out that Saturated Fats were wrongly coined as being bad for us and everyone is going to have to change their tune and stop saying it with in the coming years.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Completely disagree on the comment about coconut oil.

I disagree with the comment on Coconut oil as well as other forms of saturated fats. There is more and more proof coming out that Saturated Fats were wrongly coined as being bad for us and everyone is going to have to change their tune and stop saying it with in the coming years.

Yeah, you quoted me before I got to edit and add more. LOL
  • tlevinski
    tlevinski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cocconut Oil is actually one of the few medium chain fatty acid profiles that can be very helpful & useful to your body. One of the websites that can explain in detail how short, medium, & long chain fatty acids work.

The best supplemental fat for keto that worked in my diet is Barleans Total Omega oil (lemondade flavor) - added to cottage cheese tastes like lemon pie. delish
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Saturated fat is not bad for you..............Saturated fat is very necessary in generous quantities for a lot of essential body functions, especially brain function.

Here is some educational reading for you :flowerforyou:

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.preventionisbest.com/site/saturatedfat.html

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm

Love it when people are educated! :) Thanks for the links :)
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    What do you have your settings on? I'm eating Paleo and have chosen to stay in ketosis on a daily basis. I'm eating plenty of healthy fat and am staying under my calories even though Paleo doesn't necessarily prescribe to calorie watching.

I am at 1490 cals a day and do a 30/65/5 p/f/c so 112g/108g/19g
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    I new I would have the few people telling me my fats are bad, I wish people would educate themselves before posting sometimes.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

I am at 1490 cals a day and do a 30/65/5 p/f/c so 112g/108g/19g

To answer your original question I sometimes come in under my fat grams, sometimes over.

How many times are you eating daily? And I'm trying to recall, are you doing Atkins or are you paleo?
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    Actually I eat more primal, and I eat 5-6 times a day normally 5 on non gym days then 6 gym days because I consider my PWO shake a meal
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Isn't Keto one of the guys in Mortal Combat? :smile:

FAT, FAT, OMG don't you know you need to eat wheat or your brain will shrink up and you will die a horrible death?
  • MissKim
    Options
    Isn't Keto one of the guys in Mortal Combat? :smile:

FAT, FAT, OMG don't you know you need to eat wheat or your brain will shrink up and you will die a horrible death?

Your my hero :) Thanks for having my back in the other thread, honestly, I'm just a bit emotional lately. and wish I could come on this site and not have to see paleo/primal bashing every single day :( I probably shouldn't have vented like that in the other thread, but it bothered me that he had just posted that same mess in another thread, and then created a whole new thread just for the sole purpose of bashing the diet. Guess I need to learn to overlook the ignorance.....esp if I'm going to be one of the "crazies" that doesn't eat grains. lol