How long does it take you to jog/run a mile?

Options
13»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Looking at the responses from 2008 there was a member pushing a stroller with a baby. That 'baby' is now a teenager (or darn close to it).

BTW - 6:15 was the last mile race I ran. There, back on topic. :D
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 12:30 minute miles over 3.x miles on my runs. Can't remember when I last ran just a mile for time, outside of high school in '73. Of course, my time is not relevant to your experience. The only person against whom you're running is your former self. Better than yesterday, not as good as tomorrow.
  • JoeyTheWanderer
    JoeyTheWanderer Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I can pop a single mile on a completely flat plain somewhere around 8-9 minutes. Unfortunately my area is anything but flat. So add another two minutes. Typically I prefer my JumpRope over a run though.
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Im 5'2 and jog around 12 minute pace for about 3 miles 3 times a week. I also have asthma arms running makes it a lot better. In the beginning 5 years Ago it was more like 14 minute miles.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    My last running challenge at age 53 was 3k in sub 15mins before I decided to stop running because it hurt my badly damaged knees too much.

Around that time I also selected a one mile speed test program on a treadmill, thought I was going really well as the readout ticked up from 0.4 to 0.5 and was feeling comfortable so increased the pace.
    Went for a sprint finish from 0.9 only to be very surprised when it ticked up 1.0 and carried on to 1.1 because it was counting in km not miles.....
    Doh!
  • missroxysteels88
    missroxysteels88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I switch my runs between sprint and jogs. I usually jog between 9/10 mins but I have got it down to less than 7 minutes before when I have added sprints.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    The last time I was focused on speedwork was in 2017. I don't ever remember running a timed mile, but during track sessions my 400's were done at an alternating 6:45 pace/9:00 pace ( 5 miles done as one continuous run). So, I'd guess a single mile in 7 minutes would be about right. Best half marathon pace was 8:45/mile.

These days I'm starting over after a year off due to injury, so I'm building endurance at a modest pace. Speed will come later this year.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    When I was in the Army I could consistently do 11:50 - 12:10 for the two mile test... so I was pretty fast.

Now... I could run a mile

eventually.
  • AprylaExp
    AprylaExp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can slog out a mile in about 14 minutes, if it's a good day. Since we're sheltering in place I'm working on my endurance and speed. :P
  • ecrispi
    ecrispi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I was a runner in school I was always just under 6min for 1 mile. Around 6:50/mile for multiple (I seemed to hold this fairly consistently for some reason for any long distance I’ve actually timed). Went a handful of years with only the sporadic run for fun. Picking back up for real I started around 8min/mile. Was working my way back down the 7s but all my COVID free time got me too excited and I am nursing an overuse injury now unfortunately 🤦‍♀️
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Between 9:30-10 for 5-6 miles
  • sgfoster110
    sgfoster110 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I was at my peek in road racing I could do several 4:55 miles. I trained and ran 10,000 meters and 1/2 marathons.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm around 12:3x min/mile but I could probably do 11:xx or high 10:xx if it wasn't in the dark in the early morning.