Red Velvet cake

Options
prettyrikky
prettyrikky Posts: 22 Member
I know Red Velvet cake isn't the healthiest but, I want to make my family one for Easter. Does anyone have a tasty home made recipe, that I can borrow/have that they are willing to share?

Replies

• meggersd
    meggersd Posts: 55
    Options
    I got this offline but it is almost identical to my families and you NEED to ice it with cream cheese icing its TO DIE FOR!!
    Also I skip the pecans but to each their own.
    Don't feel guilty red velvet cake is UHH MAZZING

Ingredients
    Vegetable oil for the pans
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon fine salt
    1 teaspoon cocoa powder
    1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
    1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
    2 large eggs, at room temperature
    2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
    1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
    Crushed pecans, for garnish
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour 3 (9 by 1 1/2-inch round) cake pans.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.

Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.

Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans. One at a time, invert the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, rounded-sides up. Let cool completely.

Frost the cake. Place 1 layer, rounded-side down, in the middle of a rotating cake stand. Using a palette knife or offset spatula spread some of the cream cheese frosting over the top of the cake. (Spread enough frosting to make a 1/4 to 1/2-inch layer.) Carefully set another layer on top, rounded-side down, and repeat. Top with the remaining layer and cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle the top with the pecans.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
    1 pound cream cheese, softened
    4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
    2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.)

Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Add the vanilla, raise the speed to high and mix briefly until fluffy (scrape down the bowl occasionally). Store in the refrigerator until somewhat stiff, before using. May be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days.

Yield: enough to frost a 3 layer (9-inch) cake
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...yum! I have a recipe at home. It's delish! I'll compare and share if it's much different than this one.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just googled this recipe, but I hope it works for you!

I <3 google :)

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/2008/12/chocolate-giveaway-and-healthy-red.html
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Here is a healthy one I found on another site....if you're carb and sugar conscious. I havent tried it yet, but am as soon as I can up my carbs.

Healthy Red Velvet Cake

Serves 8-10

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup unsalted organic butter, softened
    1/2 cup yogurt
    9 large eggs
    1 cup erythritol
    1/4 teaspoon good-tasting pure stevia extract
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    3/4 cup sifted coconut flour
    2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon red food coloring
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Set out butter and eggs to bring to room temperature. Alternatively, microwave butter for 8-10 seconds and dunk eggs in warm tap water for 15 minutes. Prep 9 inch cake pan by greasing with nonhydrogenated shortening and dusting with extra cocoa powder. Tap pan on all sides to distribute cocoa powder in an even layer. Whisk together eggs in a bowl until a bit foamy, and add vanilla extract to eggs. In another bowl, sift coconut flour and stir in sea salt and cocoa powder. Mix together yogurt and red food coloring in a third bowl. In the largest bowl, cream butter for about 30 seconds to make it fluffy. Add erythritol in a steady stream and cream together for 2-3 minutes, or until light, fluffy, and close to the color of cream cheese. Scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Slowly stream in beaten eggs, beating continuously. Don't worry if the batter curdles. Once eggs are added, add dry and wet ingredients alternately until everything has been added but the baking soda. Mix in baking soda and scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes in the center of the middle oven rack, or until batter is completely set and springs back. Cover top with foil and bake for longer if center is not set. Remove cake from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

Invert pan onto a cookie sheet and let cake cool completely. Slice into two layers with a serrated knife, if desired. Transfer bottom cake layer to a serving dish lined with strips of wax paper hanging off the edges. Frost cake, laying over a thin crumb coat first. Then pile on the frosting spread outward from the center of the layer. Add top layer to cake and cover completely with frosting. Store and serve at room temperature. Refrigerate after 24 hours. Cake is best testing after warming up if it has been kept in the refrigerator.

Cream Cheese Frosting

2-8 oz packages cream cheese or Neufchatel 1/3 less fat cheese
    1/2 cup to 3/4 cup erythritol, powdered
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pure stevia extract
    1 stick organic unsalted butter

Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Beat until smooth and creamy, then add powdered erythritol and beat for about 2 minutes, or until erythritol is dissolved and the mixture does not feel gritty to the touch. Beat in butter just until smooth and incorporated.

~60g net carbs for the whole, frosted cake
    ~6g net carbs per 1/10th
    ~7.5g net carbs per 1/8th<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Red-Velvet-Cake

you could go lower fat and still yummy. :)
  • Okay I know you said cake but yoplait has this light yogurt it's red velvet cake and it's awesome lol just thought I'd give you a tip.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    lol thank you hooma. i was reading this thread thinking oh yay, a healthier version of red velvet, and read the first recipe. needless to say, i did a lot of drooling, but made no plans to try the recipe out any time soon. the healthified version looks just as yummy! :)
  • prettyrikky
    prettyrikky Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I appreciate all your input and I will definately try that yogurt!! :)
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I had an idea the other day, but I have not tried this personally. I was thinking that I would like to use a red velvet cake mix mixed w/ a Sprite Zero to make cupcakes. I have seen several recipes on here using a cake mix & a diet soda. Then, I am thinking that that Jello makes a sugar free instant pudding in cheesecake flavor that could be mixed w/ cool whip to make a frosting of sorts. I am just afraid that if I make this, I will eat them all, even if they are lower calorie!!
  • myranda2888
    myranda2888 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Red Velvet Cupcakes

YIELD: 30 cupcakes (serving size: 1 cupcake)

COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings

Ingredients
    Cupcakes:
    Cooking spray
    10 ounce cake flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    2 large eggs
    1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk
    1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons red food coloring (about 1 ounce)
    Frosting:
    5 tablespoons butter, softened
    4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk
    1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
    3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
    1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare the cupcakes, place 30 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine cake flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add white vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and food coloring; beat well.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.

5. To prepare frosting, beat 5 tablespoons butter, 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk, and cream cheese with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until smooth. Add 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes.

Amount per serving
    Calories: 205
    Fat: 7.3g
    Saturated fat: 4.5g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
    Protein: 2.3g
    Carbohydrate: 33.5g
    Fiber: 0.3g
    Cholesterol: 34mg
    Iron: 0.9mg
    Sodium: 168mg