Potassium is low

Options
welly5
welly5 Posts: 293 Member
Going through my food journal I noticed that day after day my potassium is really low.. 50% of what I'm supposed to be getting. I looked up some high potassium foods and I plan on working them into my meals but I'm curious as to what sort of effect the low potassium might have had. I know that sodium and potassium need to balance eachother out but other than that I'm sort of in the dark. Anyone care to share information on potassium?? esp in regards to weightloss.

Thanks!

Replies

• reneegetshealthy
    Options
    I too struggle with potassium. I recently had to start taking supplimentation as I was experiencing muscle spams. I am interested in any suggestions too
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to track your potassium through MFP as it's generally not entered into the nutritional data. US food labeling doesn't appear to require that it be listed.

Here's an article on the effects of low potassium: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-potassium/MY00760
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I had a low potassium result when I fainted once, they said the lack of potassium did that...
  • 963Nitro
    963Nitro Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's always been said banana's are high in potassium, I used to always throw one in my protein shake after a workout, but what people don't know is that potatoes are really high in it as well. more so then banana's! Half of a baked potato will bring your levels up as well. I also know that sweet potatoes are good for you but not quite sure of their potassium content.

Potassium helps with recovery of sore muscles and muscles in general, and as mentioned earlier low potassium can cause twitching of muscles (including that awful eyelid twitch!)
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm adding more bananas and potatoes (skins on) into my diet. Plus trying to find the mfp entries that have the proper potassium listed.