Processed lunch meats...

Options
2»

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

From the article:

"Micha said these products are likely a heart disease and diabetes hazard not because of their saturated fat and cholesterol content, which was similar to unprocessed red meat, but because they contain four times more sodium and 50 per cent more nitrate preservatives."

So my conclusion: continue to avoid the -ites and the -ates. And keep a mindful eye on sodium.

Thanks Taso for the info.
  • wondergirl1003
    wondergirl1003 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    That's actually kinda interesting that you mentioned this. Last week I was in the store and thought about buying some lunch meat. Then out of curiosity I took a look at the ingredients. Scary stuff because I don't know what half of it is. If I'm buying turkey to put on my sandwich I would expect to see "Ingredients: Turkey". Not what you'll find on that stuff. Take a look next time you go to the store.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh... I just finished off a packet of smoked ham.... & the days I had it.. I almost had a heart attack wen I saw the sodium it had!!!!! Not buying that again! I think I going to try roasting/baking some & freezing portions sizes.. & see how that works out for me:)
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Oh... I just finished off a packet of smoked ham.... & the days I had it.. I almost had a heart attack wen I saw the sodium it had!!!!! Not buying that again! I think I going to try roasting/baking some & freezing portions sizes.. & see how that works out for me:)

Meeeee too, I can only eat one specific brand and it's "oven roasted" as it is because slimy lunch meat makes me gag. Nothing beats the flavor and texture of actual "turkey"