Calculating Maximum Heart Rate?

Options
ofccat
ofccat Posts: 284 Member
I am trying to make sure I have my HRM set to the right levels I have found 2 different theories on calculating Maximum Hear Rate and am not sure which one to use if either. I know it's not a huge difference but still want to get as close as possible to correct

Maximum Heart Rate equals:

(Age 30 or below) 220 - age
(Age above 30) 190 - (age-30)/2- SHOWS 188

OR:
Female: 209- (.7*age) SHOWS 185

Both say Light Intensity is 60-70%
Med Intensity 70-80%
High Intensity 80-90%

Also how do you decide which mode to put it in? I never use 1 almost always 3 but I am wondering if that is correct. I have the New Balance N4

Replies

• RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My trainer said that max HR was 200-age. Now I'm wondering which is right. Hm.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I use:

220 - age for maximum
    (220 - age) X 85% for target
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    All of those are only estimates and everybody is going to be a little different so it really doesn't make any difference which formula to use. The only way to be certain of your max heart rate is to push yourself to the point your heart reaches its max. You can know you are getting there when the urge to stop and throw up becomes overwhelminig.

Also, in my opinion a better method for calculating heart rate zones is the Karvonen method that accounts for resting heart rate.
    http://completerunning.com/archives/2006/10/27/the-karvonen-method-heart-rate-zones/
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    for women it is 226 - age
    for men 220 - age
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    All of those are only estimates and everybody is going to be a little different so it really doesn't make any difference which formula to use. The only way to be certain of your max heart rate is to push yourself to the point your heart reaches its max. You can know you are getting there when the urge to stop and throw up becomes overwhelminig.

Also, in my opinion a better method for calculating heart rate zones is the Karvonen method that accounts for resting heart rate.
    http://completerunning.com/archives/2006/10/27/the-karvonen-method-heart-rate-zones/

BUMP!!!