Destination Wedding Information

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
Holy crap! I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up on a white sandy beach for my wedding, and I can't be more excited...not only does that give me another reason to lose the chub, but the picturesque photographs will be something to cherish forever. I've never travelled so it's totally new to me.

Can people please give me some advice! Have you had a destination wedding? What did you like most/least? What website did you use? Anything will be helpful, but no need to get snotty, I'm super happy right now and don't really want to hear negative harassement...

Replies

• crystal10584
    Options
    Congrats! Wish I could swing something like that, but getting people to fork up the money (unless you wanna pay for it) may be hard... Less people to feed though!!!
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a destination wedding in January... its going to be in the Dominican Republic! very pretty. we are part of a wedding party and are going to the Dreams Resort. They have some great packages and stuff!
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I went to the mayan rivera in Mexico for my friend's wedding, it was perfect. And it's technically in the Carribean. The resort was the Bahia Grande Principe Tulum. As for websites, try this site: http://weddings.theknot.com/pwp/pwp_offers.aspx?MsdVisit=1
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    well sandals has great package options. I didn't do a destination wedding but with family so spread out it was one for others. It is a great way to keep a small and private guest list. The negatives are that you can't micro manage so somethings may not be as visioned. Also will going on one alter your honeymoon if mom and dad are hanging out at the resort to? everyone is different but I guess it depends where you want to go and just how far it is. You may want to consider a wedding planner so that they know the system and retailers available in that area. Good luck and I'm sure what ever you choose will be perfect for you
  • mommy2josh
    Options
    I went to the mayan rivera in Mexico for my friend's wedding, it was perfect. And it's technically in the Carribean. The resort was the Bahia Grande Principe Tulum. As for websites, try this site: http://weddings.theknot.com/pwp/pwp_offers.aspx?MsdVisit=1

oohh, that's where my sis is getting married in March and we're taking the family!
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I was married in Jamaica at a Couples only resort. It was the best day of my life! (next to the day my kids were born)
    You will not be disappointed!! Keep in mind, some people may not be able to attend so dont be upset about it.
    It's your day!!!! We were married (had no guests by choice), just the 2 of us, and we hired a professional photographer.
    Came back and threw a big party a few months later, very casual and low key.

Keep in mind when thinking of destinations, some places like Mexico require your fingerprints etc, if you're not comfortable having that in their database, might not be the place for you.

Be sure to check out ALL the marriage requirements for each country (you'll need to send documentation in advance)
    We were married at a resort that handled this for us ....... but always look into it just so you're not missing something when you arrive!!

Good luck and congrats!!
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We got married at Sandals in Negril, Jamaica. It was wonderful. We had about 20 people come to the ceremony and it was perfect because we knew everyone was there for us, not the free booze ;).

The issues we ran into were making sure everyone who was coming ordered their passport in plenty of time and me freaking out for no reason because it seemed like it was all too easy.

We worked with a travel agent and had everyone go through her to be sure they were at the right place, at the right time.

The planning for the actual wedding ceremony and reception took about 30 minutes and we were back on the beach.

The only thing I would have changed was my dress. I wore a heavy dress that was long and it was sort of a pain. If I were to do it over again I would do a lighter weight and shorter dress like this one: http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2011/04/breezy-wedding-dress.html

I highly recommend it! Congratulations and Good Luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    oliviaftt.jpg

or this one

otrhalter6.jpg
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Never did a destination wedding or been to one...... I too have a big fam...all of which complain they cant afford a reg wedding let alone a destination wedding. Research different locals and hotels.....if its a small party it will seem all the more romantic. Plus you can be more initimate with your guests too. Some places have it wehere u have wedding there you get break on honeymoon suite......could prob get group rate on rooms....Good Luck....Congrats and Best Wishes.:drinker:
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    oliviaftt.jpg

or this one

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WEDDINGS!!!! SO EXCITING!! CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!

I like the second one. I had a red sash with a train and hand embroidered beading stuff on the end.

I also did a destination wedding. I got married in Vegas. I had never been there. Vegas is a little different because of all the chapels. I was able to find packages and tweak as needed. We had 30 guests.

Do's:
    -Get a good wedding planner
    -research research research!!!!
    -Get TONS of pictures if you are thinking of a place youve never been.
    -compare pricing
    -If you are finacially able take a pre wedding visit so you can get a 360 view (i did not do this and all went well)

Downsides:
    -You may not get to see everything which can lead to surprises. Getting pictures of everything and previous weddings can help with this issue.
    -To fly or to not fly guests. We only paid for the wedding party. We sent out invites with RSVP's but made sure people knew they would need to find their own transport and hotel. To assist with this issue research the area and once you have a confirmed list you can reserve rooms at a hotel and ask your guests to book there. You may be able to get them lower rates this way too.
    -The cake- I am sure we over paid for it but I only had websites to go of off so we went with ratings from blogs and websites. We did not get to taste it first so research will help in this department.
    -Gown travel- Your gown gets its own suitcase :) Be prepared for possible damage or wrinkles so research how to handle that once you arrive.
    -Guests and the honeymoon- we tried to make it a wedding and honeymoon in 1. That didnt happen and its the only negative I have about my entire experience. If I could change 1 thing it would be that. Since everyone had travelled most of them had made a week of it and no one repected the fact that it was our honeymoon. We had 1 night to ourselves and that was at my demand. Every meal someone wanted to take the newlyweds out to eat. Every night someone wanted to take us to a show or give us money to gamble with (We won enough that the whole thing was paid for and then some!) It was a scheduling nightmare. It all worked out in that we were feed and happy but we did not have a honeymoon as a result. Its been 3 years and we are yet to even begin planning one. Life just sorta happens :)

The whole experience was wonderful and nerve racking all in 1. Good luck!!

otrhalter6.jpg
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    otrhalter6.jpg
    [/quote]

This one--so pretty!