a quick 2 cents about reading the labels

Options
2»

Replies

• PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Just a quick word on peanut butter. The fresh ground stuff is generally less expensive and is 100% peanuts and no salt. I used to see fresh ground PB only in health food stores, but now I am seeing the do-it-yourself grinders in conventional stores like Safeway and WinCo (regional chain). You can bring your own jars and cut down on waste, too. Many have almond butter grinders, too, but that will run into a bit of money for a pint container.

I have been a long-time label reader because of allergies, vegetarianism and plain curiosity. Pre-packed "health" foods (fake meats, especially) can be some of the worst culprits for hiding food additives.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Good post TASO! one tricky one we _really_ have to watch out for is the FAKE serving size
    where they make you think that portion is one serving when it's actually several
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    +1
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I demand dihydrogen monoxide and deoxyribonucleic acid in my organic apples! :angry:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    After I joined here and started reading labels I found out most BREAD on the supermarket shelf contains High Fructose Corn Syrup... BREAD! I now specifically buy one without. (Arnold Healthy Multigrain Bread, it's awesome)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    After I joined here and started reading labels I found out most BREAD on the supermarket shelf contains High Fructose Corn Syrup... BREAD! I now specifically buy one without. (Arnold Healthy Multigrain Bread, it's awesome)

Bread is overwhelming. If I'm in an unfamiliar grocery store without my usual brands of bread, it takes me ages to sort through and find something decent. Not always easy to find. No wonder bread gets a bad rap.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    I learned about "all beef bologna" many years ago. My job took me to a packing house, and I pretty much had free reign over the place. When I arrived at the station where this particular product was made, I saw what went into it. Yes, all cow; however, specifically: Nostrils, lips, ears, and eyelids.

OMFG...dayum...another food nixed - altho it really should ahve been nixed ages ago.
    Just yummy!
  • mberi66
    mberi66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    (Arnold Healthy Multigrain Bread, it's awesome)
    Just learned about this today from a friend. I'm a bread lover so I'll have to check this stuff out.
  • lgarrett8
    Options
    I have been reading labels for a long time. This is why I go to the store alone so I can read them. I love chocolate candy and reading the labels is the only thing stopping me from buying all the Easter candy I see. It packs a lot of calories and fat to be so small.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options

Bread is overwhelming. If I'm in an unfamiliar grocery store without my usual brands of bread, it takes me ages to sort through and find something decent. Not always easy to find. No wonder bread gets a bad rap.
    DAVE'S KILLER ALL THE WAY! ;) Taso I am the same way... I HUNT until I am happy enough! haha
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump..thank you for posting!
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I demand dihydrogen monoxide and deoxyribonucleic acid in my organic apples! :angry:

:laugh: