Returning to work

Options
Well, for the last 4 months I have been out of work due to surgery. The first month and a half was really hard on me because I couldn't exercise at all. Even though I was eating well, I wasn't moving and the weight just wouldn't go away. The last few months, since starting Physical Therapy (PT) I have been really kicking it with the exercise both strength and cardio. I've been working out 4 - 7 days a week and sadly that scale still isn't moving very much considering how much I am.

Now things have changed once agian. Last week I returned to work. It was beyond difficult. I now have to get up super early (for me) twice a week to get my PT in before work. Also, I really want to try and do some exercise on my own like I was before. So my first attempt, massive fail. Could not get out of bed. As matter of fact, with the exception of PT I didn't exercise at all. Not only that I am pretty sure I went over my calories every day. I was so exhausted by the end of the week I could hardly think about cooking and really didn't care what I ate. I was really affraid that returning to work would put me back in the lazy mode I have been in the last several years.This week, however, I vowed would be different and so far so good. Did my PT & Cardio yesterday, got up this morning and did 25 minutes of cardio this morning, planned my entire week of meals so that I know I won't be over my calories and my job has me on my feet for 4 - 6 hours a day. I am hoping that with the extra movement every day that the scale will continue it's downward journey. I just hope that I don't end up burned out again this week and that maybe by some miracle people will stop bringing in donuts, cup cakes, chocolate and other stuff that tempts me. But since I don't see that happening, I may need to see if I can fit in a short workout after work as well as before.

Anyway, not really sure why I just typed all this, it was just on my mind. If anyone has any suggestions on how not to get burned out I would love to hear them. Or if any one has a way that I can get that scale moving again, I would love that too!

Thanks for Listening ok Reading!

Circusgal96

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to return to work after surgery. Your body is still recovering from the trauma, and you are having to completely re-adjust your schedule which is going to wear you out. Maybe you should cut yourself some slack and give yourself an easier schedule to work into - change up the amount of time you are exercising and how long and gradually increase it over a series of weeks. That will give you a better formula for success and will help your body to continue healing - it can take over a year for your body to heal from surgery! Take vitamins too, probably pre-natal to also help your body recover and give you added energy.