Making it easy on yourself

Options
I'm very new to this, 1 week I think. My doctor wants me to loose 40lbs, so I'm on somethings he recommended plus a 1500 calorie plan. Knowing me, I'm sure I would not stick to eating that way all my life. So, am trying my own thing. Eat what I like in moderation ( avoiding the high fats too often of course,) Increase my exercise routine, which is almost dormant and see what happens. I figure that way if and when a loose the weight, the pounds wont creep back up on me. My eating habits are really not too bad; but excersizing! that's another quest all by itself. Good luck to everyone!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    The first thing you have to do is change your relationship with food. Do not eat food for pleasure, and that is what you are worried about. You are worried that you are losing your relationship with your old friends, that being certain foods in your life. If you change the relationship with food and view food as fuel, then this can easily be done forever. Otherwise, you will only feel like you are depriving yourself of something and that is why any diet will not work.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you log everything you eat. Sometimes we're a little surprised that what we thought was healthy ended up not be quite as good as we thought. :) The only way to know is to journal it. Welcome and good luck! I'm sure you'll get a lot out of this site!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this, 1 week I think. My doctor wants me to loose 40lbs, so I'm on somethings he recommended plus a 1500 calorie plan. Knowing me, I'm sure I would not stick to eating that way all my life. So, am trying my own thing. Eat what I like in moderation ( avoiding the high fats too often of course,) Increase my exercise routine, which is almost dormant and see what happens. I figure that way if and when a loose the weight, the pounds wont creep back up on me. My eating habits are really not too bad; but excersizing! that's another quest all by itself. Good luck to everyone!

Why can't you stick to a 1500 calorie plan...that's a lot of calories. Actually, that IS moderation, depending on your size. Why not give what the Dr. say a TRY and see where it gets you. Apparently, your own devices got you to the point you are now...Give it a GOOD Shot. MFP can help in logging those calories and keeping your exercise routine. Good Luck.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    Great suggestions offered to you so far. :)
    I started the same way but made a conscious decision to cut out certain foods like bread, soda (only drink it when I'm sick).
    I have changed to smaller portions and I actually eat all my meals now on a smaller Luncheon plate. Instead of three main meals I have more mini meals.
    Adding exercise and strength training was a huge key to losing lbs.
    Good Luck! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    I see where you are coming from and I started with a similar attitude. My initial goal was just to record what I was eating so I could see where the calories were coming from. As soon as I started doing this I started cutting things out or cutting down the quantities. I haven't changed my main meals much - they were already home cooked and relatively healthy, but I have become more aware of portions. The key for me was to plan in healthier snacks (1/2 peanut butter sandwich, almonds, cherry tomatoes, grapes, cheese and crackers, trail bars etc) ahead of time so I didn't reach for chocolate etc.
    Don't be afraid of 1500 cals, it's quite do-able with a day of real food, not "diet" meals :)