Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) for Migraines

Options
Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
I'm wondering about other people's experience taking B2 supplements.

My neurologist recommended that I take B2 as a preventative for my migraines. (We tried Topomax and I had a severe reaction to it so he said we'd try the nutrition route this time rather than putting me on a different drug.) I already take a multi-vitamin daily but it doesn't have B2 in it. Any advice/insights about B2? He's a good doctor so I'm not second guessing him, just looking for more information.

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I was taking B2 and my neurolgist said too much can be harmful, but it would depend on how much you are taking.
    What triggers your migraines? My trigger is change in hormones monthly so there is not much I can do about that. I don't take anything for migraines anymore except Excedrin Migraine.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I never tried B2 for mine ... but it sounds interesting. What did it for me was when I went vegetarian 3 years ago. I haven't had a migraine since ... I don't know if it was the hormones and/or antibiotics in the meat or just that my body couldn't process the protein. All I know is they are gone!

I would say give it a try ... maybe you too will be migraine free!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Mine are from hormones as well. However, since watching my food intake - and not eating after 7 pm., they are less powerful and not as many. I also can get rid of mine with 1 excedrin migraine with 1 can of regular coke. They are gone within 15 minutes.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was 90% migraines, and just happened to mention it to my dentist. He fitted me with a mouthguard... poof... they were gone.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Interesting... I've suffered migraines most of my life. Of course in my case I was an epileptic as a child (which I fortunately outgrew). But the migraines persisted.

I usually get them really bad in the spring/fall and figured it was triggered by abrupt changes in the barometric pressure.

I'll have to look into Vitamin B and see if I can find a rational.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Let's see, my migraine triggers:

stress (got lots of it at work lately)
    lack of sleep (see above)
    pollution (I live in LA. Also bothers my asthma.)
    red wine (no problem - I don't drink much anyway and when I do I prefer whites)
    sinus irritation (allergies to pollen and dust - and there is always pollen and dust around here)
    getting overheated/dehydrated while exercising (did I mention I live in LA?)
    sudden barometric pressure changes (I can usually tell when a thunderstorm is coming.)

I try to avoid my triggers, but I have to work and I refuse to live in a plastic bubble. I've had migraines since I was a teen, but they've gotten a lot worse in the last few years. I'm starting to think LA might be a trigger. ;P
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Take your B supplement early in the day. . .mine can trigger insomnia if I take it too late in the day.

Best of luck. Migraines suck.:flowerforyou:
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My migraines are from eating white flour (& too much processed stuff). I happened to do a diet a year ago that required me to give up white flour... and puff.. for 5 weeks no migraines:flowerforyou: So white flour & I are not friends anymore.. & I have to stay away from the bakery with the deliciously beckoning sweet stuff that I have LOVED so much:sad: