Carbs = bad?

Options
Is going over Carbs bad?

I went 31g over today mainly due to pasta.

Will i gain weight?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    31g of carbs wont determine if you gain weight. Exceeding your calories will make you gain weight.

Correction:
    Heavy meals can mess with the scale in the short term. But, the gain is temporary and due to sodium/water retention, etc. But, if you stay within your calories and don't step on the scale every 3 minutes, you wont notice it.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: Weight gain would come from going over calories, not the individual quantities you set for Carbs, Fats and Proteins.

The Standard %ages the site gives you are 55% Carb, 30% Fat and 15% protein.

So if you went over by 31 g on your carbs (124 Calories), it's highly likely that you're under elsewhere and thus it all balances out.

Depending on how you're eating, you can vary your ratios to suit your personal choices for what your goals are.
  • smylex
    smylex Posts: 14
    Options
    There's been some debate as to whether or not there are specific food groups that lead to weight gain. According to one news article, a professor lost 27 pounds eating nothing but junk food (i.e. Twinkies, donuts). Here's the article from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

After I ended up in the emergency room with tachardia (accelerated heart rate), my physician looked over my blood and urine sample work. Not only was I dehydrated, I was also consuming too much protein. She then explained that a friend of hers, who is an oncologist, showed her the problems that arose from high protein diets, specifically cancer. She then explained the best diet is 40% carbs, 20% proteins and 20% fats.

You're not necessarily going to gain the weight from the pasta depending on your exercise levels.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you're worried about gaining weight or gaining fat. There are kind of two questions and two answers there.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've had to learn to think of food as fuel. Carbs give us energy in the short term and protein gives us energy in the long term. Carbs are good before exercise or when you need a boost of energy, but then turn to sugar. (thats why too many simple carbs are bad for diabetics and high triglycerides etc.) Without the protein, you will get tired and hungry quickly. Eating protein, keeps me full longer and give me more energy for the long term...

- Lisa
  • sandman27959
    Options
    What I'd add to this is that even if you did go over today, tomorrow is another day. Every day is another chance to do better. Just keep your calories under the limit and there's almost no way you can fail.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Is going over Carbs bad?

I went 31g over today mainly due to pasta.

Will i gain weight?

b201320964.jpg
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    There's been some debate as to whether or not there are specific food groups that lead to weight gain. According to one news article, a professor lost 27 pounds eating nothing but junk food (i.e. Twinkies, donuts). Here's the article from CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

After I ended up in the emergency room with tachardia (accelerated heart rate), my physician looked over my blood and urine sample work. Not only was I dehydrated, I was also consuming too much protein. She then explained that a friend of hers, who is an oncologist, showed her the problems that arose from high protein diets, specifically cancer. She then explained the best diet is 40% carbs, 20% proteins and 20% fats.

You're not necessarily going to gain the weight from the pasta depending on your exercise levels.

40/20/20? Do you mean 40/40/20?
  • CassarahW
    CassarahW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a very needed part of our diet. Highly restricted carbs diets may get great results but it's at a very high price, decreased mental and physical health. Proccessed foods are the bad guy. Pasta, breads, sweets, etc... Imo I'd say don't count the carbs in your fruits, veggies, nuts, beans etc because they are good carbs. Limit processed foods and you'll see great results while staying healthy and maintaining your energy.
  • ShaniBethel
    Options
    @ stevemcknight - could you explain the fat gain vs. weight gain? I'm always under my calorie goal but I do tend to go over my fat goal for the day.

Much Thanks!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    my physician looked over my blood and urine sample work. Not only was I dehydrated, I was also consuming too much protein. She then explained that a friend of hers, who is an oncologist, showed her the problems that arose from high protein diets, specifically cancer. She then explained the best diet is 40% carbs, 20% proteins and 20% fats.

Find a new doctor. This one can't do math. Wonder how she passed Med School?
  • vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    That all depends on variables. If you workout or work outdoors going over on your carb intake once and a while may not be such a bad thing. If your sedentary like most of us be on guard. Carbohydrates ultimately in the end break down into sugar and that's all processed foods (white rice, flour, bread, pasta, etc) which wreaks havoc with fat and insulin. Natural sources of carbohydrates can be found in spinach, carrots, parsnips, turnips and fructose heavy fruits such as pears and oranges. I would recommend at least a hundred grams of carbohydrate daily but never go over your recommended daily allotment. Mind the calories and you should keep on the straight and narrow path of good health.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Carbs have a tendency to retain more water than other energy sources, so if you gain a couple ounces it's most likely water retention.

The best diet is the one that makes you feel like Superman. Find it. LIVE IT.
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you're worried about gaining weight or gaining fat. There are kind of two questions and two answers there.

gaining fat is my biggest concern
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    my physician looked over my blood and urine sample work. Not only was I dehydrated, I was also consuming too much protein. She then explained that a friend of hers, who is an oncologist, showed her the problems that arose from high protein diets, specifically cancer. She then explained the best diet is 40% carbs, 20% proteins and 20% fats.

oh come on. most likely was written wrong by the poster
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

oh come on. most likely was written wrong by the poster
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options

I thought those ratios were perfect. The first thing that went through my mind was, "Awesome! I'd have 20% left over to use for alcohol!" :tongue: :drinker: :laugh:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

I thought those ratios were perfect. The first thing that went through my mind was, "Awesome! I'd have 20% left over to use for alcohol!" :tongue: :drinker: :laugh:

Bwahahahaha! Love it! The Wine Percentage Category" Can't forget that one!
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    Carbs are a very needed part of our diet. Highly restricted carbs diets may get great results but it's at a very high price, decreased mental and physical health. Proccessed foods are the bad guy. Pasta, breads, sweets, etc... Imo I'd say don't count the carbs in your fruits, veggies, nuts, beans etc because they are good carbs. Limit processed foods and you'll see great results while staying healthy and maintaining your energy.

This is untrue, sorry :(

There are absolutely no essential carbs - it's written plainly in every medical text book ever. The brain can function fine on keytones and the heart actually treats keytones in preference to glucose.

I agree 10000000% about avoiding anything processed! Including bread and wheat!

When you say good carbs vs. bad carbs - are you talking about glucose or fructose?
  • stevemcknight
    Options

I thought the same exact thing :)